Machinedrum Monomachine MK1 Encoder Decoding

Hi! I’m trying to replace all encoders of my Machinedrum MK1. The Push-Encoders are easier to decode as expected and the the first replaced encoder works fine. but i’m struggling with the Data-Entry Encoder. it is more difficult to dismantle than the push buttons, because there is a plate underneath the plastic what makes it difficult to cut with a side cutter. but the real challenge is the solder on the two large pins on each encoder. the solder is almost completely removed, but the rest of it doesn’t melts so well. i used a solder pump but today btw and i’ve ordered some solder wick, maybe this will work better. but i still fear the soldering spots will be damaged or even the board itself. my main question is, are these two pins functional (important) or are they just there to stabilise/fixate the Encoder on the Mainboard (less important)? i’m not a expert when it comes to electronic parts and Soldering. but in my opinion these two pins are just there to hold the encoders on the boad.

thanks in advance for reply and sorry for my english :slight_smile:

From my limited knowledge (I built a PAIA Fatman last year), those thicker metal legs are just to hold the encoder in more securely. The Fatman had a few of those on the knobs, as well. However, I would still confirm with someone more knowledgeable unless you’re willing to trust the advice of a semi-amateur.

1 Like

that’s nice to hear. now i have just to take care that the soldering spots will be not damaged. i will provide more pictures of the repairing progress and keep you informed, because it could be also of interest for others. greetings.

Dont hesitate to reput à bit of solder, mighht facilite it, or better a bit of flux.
Quality of thé desoldering braid do a lot too. I had a lot of difficulté, then i pirchased a new braid with flux already in it, and it was way way way more easy…

1 Like

thanks for the hint. i ordered a roll of desoldering braid with flux just a minute ago :slight_smile:

1 Like

Light bé way more easier!!

Hi Elektron have a PDF with the guide to replace the encoders and have some tips to make it easier. if you dont have this i can post it here.

1 Like

I’m interested in this. I received some replacement encoders for my OT not long ago and I’m a bit anxious about replacing them.

Hi wait a little im going to the studio dig alittle bit on the HD and posting here or i can send you as well.:smiley_cat:

I would love to take a look at that also ifydm

encoder_removal.pdf (647.0 KB)

For all who need the encoder removal pdf its here…

good luck with the mission! :smiley_cat::elmd::3lektron:

1 Like

http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=115141&catid=9

Theres this as well, that I did for replacing the encoders on a mono machine from back in the EU days.

1 Like

I personally find the solder suckers work alot better than the desoldering wick. Changed my life!!!

Yeah I’m gonna have to get one of those before I attempt replacing my OT encoders—I have some of that wick stuff but it’s not very good.

I think it’s the removal of the old encoders that is causing me the most anxiety. I bought a whole new set so I’m wondering if I should just replace everything, even the good ones…

thanks DUNCAN. I’ve used it as reference from the beginning. i would have never started on my own, without this excellent “tutorial”.

maybe the desoldering wick is of bad quality plus without flux stuff. i’ve already read in various tuts, that the quality is not quite unimportant.

Believe me it was night and day between m’y two last desoldering braid. Thé last one suck thé solder and left thé pcb as new without any difficulty…literraly as new…

so, i’ve got the Jog wheel encoder off the board. it wasn’t still as easy, but the desoldering wick helped me alot. all replaced encoder, currently 3 in number work fine. but i’ve stopped replacing the other encoders in the last week, because a strange audio outputs problem came up. the right audio channels didn’t worked, neither from the headphone jack nor the main- and individual output. only the left channel worked. i’ve never touched the MIDI/ Audio I/O board, before i took the old encoders apart. so i was forced to re remove that board to look for possible damages. i didn’t found anythingh. yesterday i had got the idea to take the risk to exchange the board from my Machinedrum MK1 with the one of my Monomachine MK1 and the right audio channel of my MD worked again. now i thought that the board must be broken, but nevertheless desided to test it in the Monomachine. and here comes the strange thing…the MD I/O board works in my MnM, so it can’t be dead. i really don’t know what the issue could be. maybe some kind of static issue. actually i don’t care, since booth machines work as expected. :slight_smile:

I replaced four encoders lastnight. It was a nerve wracking experience, but not quite as horrifying as I expected. The hardest part by far was the desoldering and removal of the old encoders. I initially tried to remove them intact, but that was not going to work; I was so anxious about destroying them in order to remove them from the board.

My only regret is that I didn’t replace the other three. I may do this at some point soon (I ordered an entire set), since the new ones feel lovely.

I’m so glad I managed to pull it apart and put it back together again without doing any damage…

2 Likes

@pselodux

congrats!

i’ve ordered 9 plus 1 data entry encoder, but forgot to purchase the volume encode what annoyes me now. hope there are some spare parts left. if you have in planning to replace the Data Encoder as well, try to remove that thing in one piece somehow. that will be the worst of all in each and every case. just look at the picture above.

edit: i see it’s a octa. so a data wheel is not available^^