Machinedrum MKI (non-uw) boot issues (front panel FW needed)

Greetings, electronauts!

Some time ago my Machinedrum MKI (non-UW) started behaving strangely - it wouldn’t boot, stuck on the screen with Elektron logo (or with artifacts). MD cannot load OS, but it boots in service mode. After some research, I found out that this problem often caused by poor mainboard and front panel connection. Cleaning the pins and reconnecting the ribbon cable gave the result.

But after a couple of days, the problem started to repeat itself, and each time I had to disassemble and assemble MD to bring him to his senses. But at one point it stopped helping. MD stopped loading into service mode, which confused me a lot. Since I have some skills in electronics maintenance, I used an oscilloscope and found out that the TX pin of the PIC microcontroller on the front panel does not transmit anything. At the same time, on the RX pin, I see signals coming from the processor on the motherboard.

I have seen several mentions on the network regarding the malfunction of the PIC microcontroller, but I have not found a solution to this problem. I can replace the PIC with a working one, but I will need firmware. Elektron support has not responded to my messages for more than 3 months, and, apparently, it is not worth waiting for a response. If any of the forum users have this PIC firmware, I will be very grateful for the dump. I will also be glad to any suggestions for help (for example, buying an already flashed PIC, remote flashing, etc).

Sincerely, SyntheticJudah.

Bump

Elektron Support should response or it can not be called support. Try weekly, then daily until they do. Be a little agile, maybe they prioritize requests.
Also worth trying the ribbon cable deoxidizing ritual again as once it helped.
Anyway, same issue with mine, cable needs regular maintenance.
Another tip: try direct PM to the alternative X. OS guys, they reverse engineered the microcontroller. Maybe they have a full image that can be flashed into a new chip.
Also probe the other pins of the PIC. For a dead MCU all pins show static.
If it just a pin I/O that is dead other pins change state like the interface scanning show periodic waveform on the pins.

1 Like

Hi,

i had the same issue years ago with my MKI. (boot issues and the same strange machine behaviour)
After polishing pins and reconnecting, i bought a new psu for my machinedrum.

(MKI psu ARE NOT like the ones for MKII)

With the new psu i had never got any more issue

1 Like

Thank you very much for your advice!

The PIC is definitely completely dead, although its power and clocking are perfectly fine.
It seems the most realistic solution is, as you said, to contact the alternative X OS team.
And Elektron support is like a black hole for appeals like mine. MD has been unsupported for a long time, so I’ll try to write to them more often in various forms. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, I would be very grateful if you have contacts of someone who does Machinedrum repair and could sell me a programmed PIC or the top board in its entirety.

Thank you for you advice! Unfortunately, in my case, replacing the power supply and cleaning the contacts do not help. :worried: