Machinedrum MK1 X.05 Issues

Hello Elektronauts!!

I’m running X.05 on a MK1 Machinedrum UW and occasionally when using particularly complex kits with all machines playing my machine freezes. Here are a few characteristics of ‘The Freeze’:

1. Audio stops being emitted;
  2. Sequencer stops running completely;
  3. If I press play and stop, the respective command indications appear on the screen but nothing else changes (I have the same result when attempting to restart play using an external sequencer);
  4. All sequencer trigger buttons light up; and
  5. I can still access sequencer parameters (accent, slide, etc.) but I cannot actually edit the sequencer triggers.

Again, this only happens when I’m using particularly complex kits and many of the machines are running/being triggered–I do not have the issue on particularly complex kits when some of the machines are muted or not being triggered. I’ve been running a simple kit for about a half hour to make sure that I don’t have the issue and so far so good.

My guess is that the CPU is being overloaded, hence the partial glitchy continued machine responses but overall inability to properly operate. X.05 is a masterpiece and it seems to me that the developers might have just pushed the MD a bit beyond its max (putting the responsibility on the user to monitor a bit).

My questions are:

1. Has anyone else had this issue?
  2. Any recommendations for a fix?
  3. Is there a difference between the MKI and MKII MD CPUs?

I’m curious whether or not this would be fixed by an upgrade to MKII (the only reason I’d consider shelling out so much $$$ for one).

Thanks for reading!!

----Edited for added specificity

Hey there,
I think it is unlikely that X.05 is the reason for the drop-outs. There are many users with an MKI running the firmware without this problem. However, regarding your questions:

1. I am currently also affected by glitches/freezes, not the same as stated by you but nonetheless really nasty ones ^^
  2. Write a mail to Elektron Support, they most likely can help you, that, at least, is how I am treating the problem now
  3. AFAIK the CPU’s should be the same, but I am not too certain about it

As for your curiosity, @waftlord is also using an MKI along with an MC, I believe - so far - his machine has remained fine, so I think the upgrade to MKII in itself will not fix the current problem per se, but only as in - another machine may not have this particular issue

1 Like

I have experienced those freezes on my mk1 when pushing it to extremes with X.05
However this is rare.

Like OP describes this is usually with full 16 track quota, multiple NFX, audio inputs hot, all LFOs in play.

I’m also interested in whether mk2 users have come across this. Especially related to audio input use.

I’d agree that there is a level of user awareness required with X on mk1s when running at max capacity.

If you’re saving often, monitor what additions caused the crash, kits can be refined and remain stable for live use.

2 Likes

Thank you for the thoughtful responses.

I have the same impression as @waftlord and I’m grateful to get some other users chiming in with similar experiences. I fully agree that stability isn’t an issue for live performance if kits are crafted with this limitation in mind.

I’ll do some experiments with audio inputs in the next day or two to see if I notice anything of note. Currently, I’m not using any input machines so I don’t have any useful experience to include. I’m also going to see if I still experience the same freezes if using an external sequencer for 100% of my sequencing.

Ditto to @waftlord, would still like to hear from any MKII users on whether or not they’re experiencing freezes when pushing kits to their ‘max.’

Haven’t had any issues yet here on a MK2, but if you’ve got a particular problematic project Sysex dump I can try it out.

1 Like

does running audio inputs hot eat up more processing power?

I don’t think so. But on my mk1 (even on 1.63) Ive encountered glitching and digital distortion on the inputs when things are busy.

This maybe something wrong with my device rather than all mk1s.

I have a mk2 non uw and my MD screen froze after I plugged my keyboard out to input A and changed track 15 to be used as a GA-input.

Test mode showed no errors and all the buttons seemed to be working properly.
I did a soft reset and after that MD was running normal.

Didn’t plug the keyboard in again but updating to x.06 if there is a possible bug fix. Might have to factory reset if the bug is still there.

Excavating this particular topic, as I encounter the same problem as described on the original post.

• when i try to load a full PI kit. NO problem when trying to load each partial individually. No problem when i run bass drum, hi-hats, toms… but snare and claves make the MD bugging out. sequencer is freezing, thus the light are still running. No audio, everything become non-responsive, despite the triggering leds turning on or off.

No problem with other kits so far.

• It sometime also occures on specialy busy (midi wise) patterns.

So i was wondering. Could it be a underpowered issue? It seems that my PSU is not the original, and it delivers 2.5A… i’ve seen some compatible PSU delivering 3A…
just posting here in order to know if some people have been able to get rid of this issues, and how :slight_smile: thanks!!

first thing i’d do is upgrade to X.08 which resolved a midi input bug.

then report back.

1 Like

Wanna try this! thks!

I’d definitely get a proper power supply too. No point in risking it on a machine like that!

2 Likes

I am agree with you… But the question is… Where to find one suitable? Tried multiple time to order the mascot reference given on some dedicated topic, no luck, no more produced. Found a guy on internet who is building what seems to be a perfect replica … but prices are really steeps (around 125 euros + shipping)… Thinking of it, perhaps it’s time to buy a little less eurorack and give this guy a try…