Machinedrum mk1 doesn't boot up + surprises

Hi guys! My machinedrum mk1 got stuck on the E flashing, basically is not booting
I presumed the PSU(not original) was the problem, but I opened up just to check the guts and see if maybe the connectors were the reason and after this quick check up + contact cleaner…the problem seemed fixed…
Yesterday again the flashing E showed up so today I decided to open the MD for a better inspection and I found out that one wire of the J3 connector on user interface board was loose…now im wondering where do i have to resolder it…?? Its the connector next to the main volume pot
If a merciful soul could actually send me a photo for guidance I could eventually fix it by myself
Anyone??
While checking the PCB I noticed the previous owner had few parts replaced
See the dented encoder of the big data wheel
and a diode on the PSU board… unfortunately he wasn’t so skilled in soldering…I hope this stuff is not gonna create more troubles in the future…

wow you are a brave human! all my mk1 have developed faults and issues over the years and i would recommend getting a pro to go through and check it all, possibly reflow the solder and give you peace of mind

1 Like

Hey thanks for your reply
Honestly you don’t need to be so brave to resolder something like that wire…I just need to know where…but if you have an MK1 maybe you could take a photo to guide my hands in the right direction …??
I used to build my own synth modules so…I’m definitely a bit more skilled and clean than the previous owner or whoever puts his hands on this MD
Maybe that wire is not the real problem either but it’s definitely something I can handle without the help of a technician
The PSU board is all thru hole components and not so populated so…also not a big problem and…in case after this quick troubleshooting the problem persists, then the only explanation would be the failing power supply…then again I think I wouldn’t need a technician but a new power supply!

1 Like

i got a new psu from plasma music ltd in the uk

1 Like

The volume control cable was definitely re-soldered, it looks different from the factory. Anyway - these pictures should help you out. Regarding boot problems - 90% of the time it’s a faulty connection between the motherboard and the control board. I recommend you to replace the connectors and the wires themselves.

1 Like