Machinedrum MIDI Out

its sometimes very interesting to output the midi from a drummachine to a synth just to see what it sounds like.
i know that you can load a midi machine to trigger a note on an external synth via midi out but is it possible to output the midi of other machines which are not midi machines? or is it possible to load two machines in one slot? for example, one sine wave machine and another midi machine on one slot?

thanks

dammit i cant stand how easy it is to lose a reply in this forum (when you hit backspace!).

no you cannot assign two machines to one track unless you do the input hack (assign an input machine to the track, open it, then change kits to something with a different machine on that track.

i cannot remember how the md handles midi output by default, but i know it always sends out clock if its on.

actually using MIDI machines on the MD is pretty straight forward. i use it to controll my Airbas99 (1 instrument per track), and it works pretty nicely. just use the machine corresponding to the channel you want to use (like machine 1 for channel 1, machine 2 for channel 2, etc) and set the note you want to trigger. you have control over velocity & 6 cc paramters iirc.

but you can use the global MIDI setup to set the MIDI out notes for each track, too. this way you should be able to keep the original machine on the MD while triggering a MIDI note on the external synth. it’s just a little more complicated if you want to use paramterchanges via CC, etc.

one problem i discovered though was that programchanges are being fired one step “too late” - if i want to change a kit on the airbase, it is being changed after the first kick played.

If you have the Base Channel set to a value other than “–” then it will send out MIDI notes on the first channel of the four selected. For example, if you set Base Channel to ‘1-4’ then it will send note data on channel 1.

Dy default each track/sound is a fixed MIDI note from C2 (1-BD) to D4 (16-M4), so it’s effectively all the white keys within that range. You can change those default note assignments using the Map Editor under Global>Control.

I think that’s the only control you have over the MIDI note assignments of machines other than specific channel MID ones. It’s still pretty cool and useful if you want to layer an external sound with a specific drum or just see what sequenced melodies come out when you trigger a synth with it.

1 Like

^ Yes, pretty shure.
that’s a good trick to deduce a bass wich fit perfectly to the drum, same for guimic or melodic patterns.
MD is a real good Drum machine with good midi mplémentation. Few drumbox can do what it can.

1 Like

for example, one sine wave machine and another midi machine on one

Another fun thing you can do, in the kit settings, is to have one track trigger another.
For example, I like to have my kicks on track 9. Everytime track 9 triggers, it also triggers track 16 which is a MIDI signal I send to another equipment to trigger some stuff.

1 Like

Great tips in this thread. Thanks guys.

I get my JUNO-60 back today, which was in the shop being outfitted with a Minerva MIDI board (making the Juno MIDI enabled, plus adds another ARP and an additional envelope). Can’t wait to try some of the methods described above!

ps. the GND machines are awesome,
the noise can be used as a good source for making a drum hit from scratch.

The Impulse machine (on a seperate output) can act as a click for older drum machines and synths (SH-101 CLK IN for example) the values of the machine affect the rhythm of the Arpeggiator, way cool! Shuffles & 32nd notes+triplets.
I use the MD for all my trig needs (Synare PS-1 and some old “drum-boxen” like someone mentioned in the hay-days) hehe

Layering sounds (one is the lower body of the hit) the other the upper part (hi-tones)
Use the inputs as effects for other gear,
the envelope follower with some SRR (and another LFO envelope on the extra filter) on a bass-guitar is awesome.

1 Like