Machinedrum Faceplate vector/specs?

I assume there’s a trace on the underside of the PCB which was going to that ring and it’s not making contact anymore with the blob of solder I see there.

3 Likes

so you’re saying the solder pad has fallen off the pcb? was the switch damaged?

You have some bad options, but there is an option:
-you can scrape the top of the trace on the other side just enough to expose the copper and carefully solder a wire to it there and run that wire to the other leg of the button.
-you can verify where the trace runs to, if it is a diode or something and as long as it is on the same side of the next component which the switch is on, you can run a wire from there to the leg of the switch which no longer makes contact.

• you can pay elektron a lot of money.
  • you can pay a repair person a lot of money.
  • you can find a md with other problems to source for parts.

all the latter 3 make it a very expensive procedure but the first 2 are not very professional.

hard to say at this point, you want it to work but don’t want to make things worse. If possible look for the next component in line with the trace on the other side and show a picture of it. Also maybe ask if someone has a schematic for md mk1 and verify.

not sure what else to suggest right now, I’ll let you know if I think of another better solution without costing money.

2 Likes

I soldered both side actually.
I used a cable to check if I could use another switch : nothing happen, I can’t use a switch as is.

Maybe I can solder elsewhere, but I fucked enough things today. I’ll see tomorrow.

That’s what I want to do.

I don’t want to spend money. Worse scenario if I don’t make things worse : MD slaved.

Yes. Fucked with glue, not going back to neutral position, one leg brocken.

Thanks…

1 Like

either post pictures in here or dm me some pictures of the button and also to show the other side of pcb. don’t give up yet ok. I think it can be fixed today or soon, let me see what it looks like. which part of the button is bad? where did the glue get into? what was the problem which needed glue? if I have more details I’ll give you at least an opinion. need to try and remove the solder blob if you have a solder wick or a de-solder pump. that will make it easier to check for continuity in the hole and maybe there is just a cold solder joint even if the pad is gone maybe there is still a way.

1 Like

Time to sleep here ! :wink:

If there is a simple option, I’ll probably use Scale Setup switch.

It doesn’t work anymore.

2 Likes

they might still have a button for sale:

Machinedrum/Monomachine MKI service information[ Print](javascript:print():wink:

Modified on: Fri, 27 Mar, 2020 at 9:06 AM

Elektron does not provide service on Machinedrum/Monomachine MKI devices. Some spare parts are still available to order, such as encoders, button mechanisms, and plastic button caps if you want to perform the repair yourself or enlist the help of a local electronics workshop.

Contact the Elektron Support at https://www.elektron.se/customer/tickets/ if you want to order spare parts. Note that you need an account at elektron.se to be able to create a support ticket.

You can find information about the power supply specifications here: https://support.elektron.se/support/solutions/articles/43000541580-elektron-power-supplies-psu

2 Likes

So I sorted out. Not proud of my soldering job, so the positive thing is that I will have to keed my MD. :content:
(Can’t sell it as is)

On the right, a very cool home made switch, hoping to get one from Elektron. On the left, a knife for hara-kiri.

I succeded to fuck the other soldering pad, more precisely the pcb wire (don’t know the term).

So I soldered 2 cables on the switch, and on “next wired soldering pads.”

Thanks for advices !

2 Likes

I laughed at the hari kiri joke I’m sorry to say.

so did you end up with the same switch working or took a different one?

2 Likes

I did as I said : took Scale Setup one, replaced by a gorgeous and handy home made switch : 2 wires.

I may put the non working switch in Scale Setup place, and put the wires in the available page led hole…

1 Like

if you have an old computer keyboard which you can cannibalize for parts you can easily take a keyboard keyswitch and use it for this function until you sort out a better option, any non latching spst switch would probably be ok for now. good work though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Terrible work. Don’t try to repair electronics with hang over !
The MD was in a much better condition, with the big knob repair. Tempo was PITA to set. Then I fuck everything to end with a non working tempo button…:expressionless:

But it gave me the idea to bend Func and Classic buttons…
I hope soldering will last, it was hardly sticking…

2 Likes

did you clean with flux prior to heating the metal? makes a big difference with flux pen or paste to make the old metal less oxidized.

it was your birthday, could not be helped. you wanted it to work so you worked on it when you wanted it :slight_smile:

1 Like

No. I never used flux…

for preparing the metal surface it will help the solder to stick better, for the future if you get some flux paste or the pen type dispenser it helps to get a better joint. if you have to redo this one, it’s a good thing to have (or even when you go to install a new button, not expensive to purchase. very good to have in hand.

Also I find the paste very good as part of cleaning and re-tinning the iron tip.

3 Likes