Machinedrum as a live recorder-looper-overdubber?

I’m playing a live improvised set very soon, and I’m still brainstorming various ideas for how to loop and process my synths and/or laptop in real time. I’ve gotten the notion that it’s possible to set up the Machinedrum UW+ mk2 to live record continuously while simultaneously playing back that recording continuously, while mangling and parameter-locking the audio in real-time. Bonus points, also have some functionality for overdubbing as you go, and maybe erasing/muting the overdubbing if you want to. I’m still very new to the concept of sampling with the Machinedrum, though, so this could either be impossible, or super obvious and done all the time.

The closest thing I’ve seen so far is this: Return to Swiss Mountain, in which Allerian seems to be live-recording and looping a record of Swiss folk music, processing it, and adding some simple drums on top. I’ve tried to copy what he did but it didn’t seem to work.

Is what I’m thinking of possible? And if so, can you provide (detailed, if possible) instructions for how to achieve it? I assume setting up Record and Playback machines in a certain way is the key, but I’m stumped at the moment.

In a way it’s possible- as far as looping- blatantly so. Just have a recorder machine and a play machine each triggered.

Overdub- that’s where it gets tricky two rec two play- one set records and plays external recording; another set for internal recording and looping

As far as removing overdub- inconvenient to the degree that it’s impossible. You can’t remove elements of a overdubbed loop seamlessly, nor can you construct one for that seamlessly

As far as the example you shared. There are, I believe four separate record and play machines. What I think he did was place the recorder trigs as various points on the sequencer, and then duplicated the voices multiple times effecting the audio differently on each track.

It’s a cool effect. I’m a little disappointed that I never tried it.

Good luck!

1 Like

the RAM machines take a little practice, as they’re not super intuitive to use, but the basics won’t take you long if you follow the tutorial in the manual. do it a few times till you get the gist. (as a bonus, you’ll be that much more prepared for sampling on the OT if you ever get one, as it’s built on similar principles.)

a few things to keep in mind:

• there are indeed 4 RAM-Rec and RAM-Play machines. Just don’t have the RAM-Rec and its corresponding RAM-Play machine active at the same time, or you’ll likely get earsplitting feedback.
  • overdubbing is tricky but can be done. remember that your settings on each RAM-Rec’s MLEV and ILEV controls will determine whether you are recording the external inputs, the MD’s internally produced sounds (including your previously sampled loops), or both.
  • resampling will quickly get gritty due to the 12-bit engine. embrace this as a feature.
  • lots of old lore is worth exploring here. try this section of tarekith’s guide.
6 Likes

Thanks! I re-read the manual’s tutorial on RAM machines carefully and followed it, and it ended up being really clear and everything started clicking for me. Spent a few hours getting fluent in setting up and manipulating everything on the fly, and preparing kits that I can load up.

In case it’s useful for anyone else, here’s some notes on what I’m doing:

-Setting up one internal looper: R1 device on a track, P1 device on the next track. R1 trig on the first step in the pattern. P1 trig after that, and I can set up multiple P1 trigs on the fly if desired to achieve rhythms. On R1, MLEV is set to 0 (this is sampling the internal sounds of the Machinedrum) and ILEV is all the way down (we don’t want any external sampling here). CUE1 can be turned up if I want the R1 device to play back the internal sounds as they’re coming in.

-Setting up two external loopers (this is where the meat of my setup is): R2 device on a track, P2 device on the next track. Same deal with R3 and P3. R trig on the first step in the pattern, P trigs after that, with multiple P trigs set up on the fly if desired. On R2/3, MLEV is all the way down (we don’t want internal sampling here), and ILEV is all the way up (we want external audio sounds to come in nice and loud). CUE2 can be turned up if I want the R device to play back the external audio signal as it comes in.

-Performing: Hit play and start playing external synths and creating melodies/drone/noise/fx/what-have-you. If you can MIDI sync external synths to the Machinedrum, great. If not, no worries, as you’re playing and tweaking things on the fly everything will cohere to the tempo, more likely than not, if you’re paying attention to the overarching rhythm you’re building. Introduce some Machinedrum kicks to get some beat structure if you like. Add snare, hi-hats, etc if you want for full-on beats, or just stick to beatless phantom rhythms if you prefer.

-At some points, you may want to cancel one of the R trigs so you’re not recording anymore. The associated P trigs will continue to play the last thing in the pattern you recorded up until you canceled the trig. Now you just have that looping melody, which is very rythmic. You can parameter lock P trigs, change the filter, pitch, retrigs, LFO, distortion - whatever you like. Bring the R trig back in when you want to get back to recording. If you have the CUE turned up, then you should start hear your input signal again.

-R machines can have their effects and routing messed around with too, not just P machines. If an R machine and P machine are playing the same thing, it sounds cool to have different filters and filter modulation on them. Introduces thickness/doubling of what you’re playing in interesting ways.

-Optional: set up a CTRL-ALL machine on a track for global mangling on all machines.

It’s really a very versatile looper device! This works for my needs more than any other options I was looking at, and is certainly more customizable. Pretty happy.

2 Likes

you can feed the MD with your Ram Machines and use IMP for more control, gates, envelopes and more with CTRL 8 and RYTM or GATEBOX etc. so this machine is very deep digital and metallic. if you use something analog on the filters or FX like the Heat can breathe new life. sounds punchy and aggressive.

2 Likes