Machinedrum AND dr2

Hi everyone. I already have a machinedrum which I of course absolutely love. Lately I’ve been gassing for a dr2 and I’m deep in the grip of wanting one. Is getting a dr2 when you already have a machinedrum a waste of money? I’m not struggling financially and purchasing the dr2 is within my means is I won’t be eating ramen for 6 months to make it happen. Thoughts?

What can’t you do on the MD?

If you want it and you can afford it, go for it.

If I had the same opportunity, I would’ve concluded that I don’t need it regardless of whether I could afford it or not: just because I can doesn’t mean I have to.

As far as I can tell by watching vids, the machinedrum eclipses the dr2 in capability. I think there might be 1 or two features in the dr2 not found in the md. My md is 15 years old though and it’s the only digital drum machine I own. Having said that I’ve got a number of old school samplers that would do it if the md karks.

Once I retire in 2 years I won’t have the means to buy it unless I sell other stuff which I loathe doing.

1 Like

Sounds like you may want to add something else to the collection, which is awesome! Good for you!

It also sounds like the DR-2 doesn’t offer much to justify a purchase, other than being an addition to a collection and a temporary “other sound flavor”.

1 Like

No. A DR-2 should be in every studio.

Its your money. If it makes you happy go for it.

1 Like

I almost bought a DR-2, but then I got @Claid’s sample pack and it totally curbed my GAS:

I have a lot of fun with adding these sample packs to samplers (or Renoise).

But of course, if you want it and can afford it, nothing wrong with getting it to add to your sonic palette.

1 Like

If your near london you can try mine.

1 Like