Machindrum + drum pads + DAW - Midi Setup

Hi,

This is much more a question about MIDI than probably about the Machindrum itself, but hoping to get some help (though if there’s a way to get the buttons/trigs on MD to be velocity sensitive then let me know and ignore below :slight_smile: )

I’m wanting to use drum pads (ie alesis samplepad; velocity sensitive) to trigger and send midi via Machinedrum onto DAW, record the midi notes on the DAW and then, on playback, the DAW then sends MIDI out to the MD triggering the recorded notes.

Basically, I’d like to have both the DAW and drum pad trigger the MD but cant figure how this could be set up? can midi THRU be used…? Any help/advice would be great…

Which version of the SamplePad do you have?

What MIDI interface are you using to interface with your computer?

Which DAW are you using?

You can most likely connect the SamplePad to the computer MIDI In, then have the DAW process the notes and forward or output them from the computer MIDI Out to the MD MIDI In.

1 Like

Which version of the SamplePad do you have?

Dont have one yet, but was just looking at Alesis Samplepad Pro

What MIDI interface are you using to interface with your computer?

Currently have a Presonus Audiobox, planning to upgrade to focusrite 8pre if worth mentioning…i also have a couple other synths set up with MIDI out from AI to midi expander then to various synths. Also have a midi keyboard with midi out>DAW via USB.

Which DAW are you using?

Logic

You can most likely connect the SamplePad to the computer MIDI In, then have the DAW process the notes and forward or output them from the computer MIDI Out to the MD MIDI In.

Hadn’t thought to go PAD>DAW>MD…trying to imagine the above, seems like i wouldn’t hear the PAD/MD only until I’ve recorded and playback?

Feel like im overcomplicating…

It will work; Logic can pass the MIDI Note messages on to your interface’s MIDI Out port.

You can try it out with your existing “MIDI keyboard”.