Mac Mini + Octatrack or Macbook Pro

Hello, I have some money to burn and I’m in desperate need to get a new computer, since my 2012 macbook pro is having seizures and little fits.

It’s long overdue, but now I want to make a good investment and buy a m1 macbook or macmini (m3 is out which is better, 10 core m1 is apparently better than m2 for audio processing).

The price difference between the macbook and mini is so big, that when I buy a mini, I could also get a secondhand Octatrack mk1. I’m playing livesets currently with my macbook, but I’m thinking of changing to octa for these purposes. I don’t travel much currently, but I hope to travel more in the future for gigging. The mac mini will be used for production mainly and some video editing.

What do you think? Anyone has experience with a similar set up?

1 Like

It is a long thread filled with twists and turns, but check this out:

TL;DR: The M1/2/3 macs are great. If you need portability, get the Air or MBP. If you don’t, then get a Studio or Mac Mini.

I’ve got a M1Max Studio, and my only regret is that I maxed the CPU and RAM but not the SSD.

In your case, it might make sense to get an Apple Refurbished M-series Mac Mini and then 6-12 months later get a refurbished Macbook Air for gigging.

2 Likes

Aah thanks for reminding me of that thread! I’ve seen it before.

Well it’s definitely a possibility to get a mac mini and air, but then I’m wondering if I’m not better off buying a maxed out macbook pro.

I also have an octatrack on my wish list, so that’s why I thought to combine the purchases and be mindful about what I buy to save money. I’ve seen Barker do a liveshow with an octatrack, digitone and a syntakt this summer. I’ve also seen Stef Mendisidis do a liveset with two octatracks. They seem really capable and more hands-on than taking a macbook with all kinds of midi controllers on stage.

1 Like

I have a Mac Studio (home studio) and Macbook Air M1 (Portability)

Macbook Air is honestly all I really need as these silicon chips are amazing over Intel. You might find a Macbook Pro complete overkill depending on what you do DAW wise. So a hardware (Octa) plus Air or Mini might benefit you more in long run unless your some super power user

1 Like

Ultimately that’s going to be a personal decision.

I went with the maxed out Studio for music and other work with the expectation that I’ll eventually buy a hefty MBP when I travel more for work.

The Studio is insanely overpowered, and even the basic 8GB MBA has impressive capabilities. You can’t upgrade modern macs at all, so the one to buy depends on how much you are willing to spend today and how long you want to keep the machine.

1 Like

How do you like the amount of thunderbolt ports on the Air? Do you use midi controllers and do you connect them via a hub?

I perhaps also want to add visuals through MaxMsp in the future. Anyone with experience using macbook air for both midi controllers and viuals?

To be honest I only use one port on the Air for hardware as use for travel only. But hub would take care of that if need be.

Studio is rammed full of USB-C connections (as well as additional ones on my Apple display). I bought loads of USB to USB-C cables from Amazon instead of using pesky dongles

1 Like

For me it’s important to go as future proof as possible. But it seems 8gb is not the same as it used to be. It’s more powerful nowadays. So 16/18 gb memory should be sufficient for my needs.

You’re right indeed that it’s a personal choice in the end! I’m just curious if people who use either a macbook air or either an octatrack for livesets found limitations (such as limited tracks for stem playback in octatrack, or limited thunderbolt ports).

1 Like

The studio seems like a beast! Did you ever take it somwhere out of the home? I’m also pondering a mac studio or mac mini set up with an external screen and keyboard/trackpad.

It seems like they are quite portable. By buying this instead of a laptop, I would also be cutting out the chances of ruining the battery and needing replacement.

No it has stayed on my desk.

It is a beast but I think the new Mac Mini is prob on par with it now as mine is a M1. The connectivity is great mind. From memory (im away from home) its had 8 USB ports in total (2 at front, 6 at back of which 2 are old USB). So I have them all plugged in with various gear such as Elektrons, M8, TX6, OP-1F etc)

1 Like

The main draw of the MacBook Pro would be if you need that HDR display for video editing (but only if you are working in HDR!) or if you need more than the 24 GB of RAM available in the Air.
I would be surprised if there was a significant difference for audio applications.

Apple has been making those claims lately, but they don’t hold up under scrutiny.

Since it is no longer possible to upgrade the RAM (or SSD) in these machines, I would buy as much as you can afford - as it can often be the thing that pushes people to replace a computer sooner than it might otherwise have needed.

1 Like

I’m impressed with what @Fin25 has done in 8GB, but I have zero regrets buying 64GB for my Studio.

1 Like

Then RAM is definitely something to consider. Although I’m working on 8gb rn!

I just freeze every stem. I think I have quite a sophisticated workflow in Ableton Live for making livesets which involves recording synths/drumcomputers from an analog mixer with fx into a recording track. Then I drag that into a processing track. I copy the stem into a pre-processing archive track as well. In the processing track I build an fx chain of ableton stock or some vst’s. Then I freeze the track and drag the frozen stem into a performance track.

This way I can still work on an outdated, underspecced macbook that’s more than 10 years old. I like the workflow so much that I might just as well continue doing it this way going forward, even on a new mac.

I just need processing power for running softsynths like vital and surgext. They completely obliterate my cpu!

Uh oh. That’s what I’m using

I sold all my hardware after I loaded up a 2022 MBP M1 with primo software. It’s the ultimate turd polisher.

I’m not planning to ditch all hardware per se. Still like hardware. But after having daydreamt for a few years now to compose an expensive hardware studio, with expensive converters, channelstrips etc., I’ve come to realise this is only obtainable if I really start earning a living with music. For now I’ll stick with the few synths I have and vst’s.

You don’t even own Elektron anymore? Although many people hate the idea of it, I wouldn’t mind Elektron focussing completely on a software ecosystem. Imagine having a machinedrum itb, using a midi controller for the p-lox. Imagine integrating that with Ableton modulators.

1 Like

voting for Mini + OT.
i myself use Mini (moreover, two stacked Minis, but the older intel-based one runs Ubuntu) and happy with it.

Perhaps consider the new MBP 14”, the base model. It at least comes with a number of ports, a fan, a good screen. I personally have been very surprised by my M2 MacBook Air when it comes to visuals. Of course, something heavy like UE5 does not really run at all, but efficient stuff like Jitter or Processing runs nicely. But the failing of the Air is it’s inability to cool itself down under load.

An Octatrack is a nice concept, but in reality it’s a lot of fucking around. If you have the inclination to port over all your samples and stems then it can be a nice approach to live performance. No one in the audience will care what you do, but the Octatrack will certainly make you sweat more.

Alternatively you could make some kind of mix system, such that perhaps laptop audio routes through it, and is processed and mangled/sampled as required.

Since it sounds like you want to play live, and with visuals, I’d probably encourage towards a MacBook Pro. They are plenty powerful these days though, so I’d hold off on Pro or Max chips until you know you really need them. The base models cover a lot of bases.

Also, edit: pretty sure you can just order off the education store these days and save some $. Or, at least, Apple ditched their verification process a while back. YMMV but, it’s kind’ve a known quantity at this point.

Definitely something to think about. The cooling is indeed important. Also it would be future proof for visual projects.

Taking a mac mini with portable screen or something on stage could work but is clunkier than having a laptop with me. It’s just the price that I’m a bit hesitant about. Atm I’m not gigging as much as I would like, which has to do with planning and perseverance. I think my failing macbook is witholding me from producing and performing as much as I would like. Failing gear in general :sweat_smile: . Had my MD broken for about a year (untill I fixed it myself), my lexicon reverb unit is partially broken. Now that I finally get some money to spend, I don’t want to spend it all on new gear. A good computer is vital and paramount. If all other gear fails, I still have a laptop with Ableton and a Push. A MPB would mean I can easily take it anywhere.

Ima think about what you just said.

.As others suggest refurb models are a good way to go and good deals can be found. Even right now being Black Friday maybe there’s some good deals around. Nothing wrong with a Mac mini on stage. Last I heard Autechre were playing live with 40” tv’s and a keyboard and mouse, so anything goes and just do what works for you. One thing nice about a MacBook though is a battery, so if for some reason the power plug of your Mac mini got tripped, well a laptop still has juice in that case

1 Like