M8 Tracker

Actually, he specifically mentions the M8 on this pack description:

2 Likes

I think it is the answer you wanted ! You just have to clone the instrument you want on the step you want, and tweak the instrument.
:slight_smile:
https://youtu.be/Xe0NnfjcJ_g?t=826

If youā€™re fine with the default text size on a phone, M8ā€™s text is pretty similar.

3 Likes

I posted further upthread but there is a windows/mac application you can connect to when you have your M8 connected to the computer that basically shows it on the screen. I was worried about the screen size and this took al the concern out of it. Itā€™s a brilliant little piece of kit.

1 Like

Right, yes, but of course that doesnā€™t address using it standalone, (say, in a park or coffee shop) ā€¦ although, I suppose you could do the same trick with an iPad ?

Edit: Am I right in thinking that the M8 just has a network address that you use with a web browser or something ?

Thatā€™s re-assuring, thanks.

It connects to web display etc via USB. I donā€™t think it works with iOS but I think some people have had success with Android? Or vice versaā€¦

Thanks, I will google some more.

Iā€™m having a problem with my M8 since the first day. When I connect a cable in the line out, if that cable moves just a little I hear the typical ground sound.

I can work without problems if I connect the cable in a 90%, but itā€™s pretty complicated to control this in live and the sound is pretty annoyingā€¦

Anyone with the same problem? How did you solve it??

Do you have other/different cables available to try? If not, maybe some tape around the jack? There was an issue with some cable designs grounding out on the case, I recall.

yep. Iā€™ve tried with all my cables. What Iā€™m doing is precisely that, adding some tape to try to avoid it. Thanks @jemmons!

Iā€™ve always used mine standalone.

Some fellow users suggested using this display app, but I have never felt a need for it. M8 Display

The standalone display does not look tiny to me when I hold the M8 in my hands. The characters are bright and sharp without being overwhelming. There are options for adjusting the look including color themes.

Compared to the display on my Roland MC-707, the M8ā€™s looks sharper and easier to read.

2 Likes

you are right! :slight_smile:

I got a Teensy 4.1 to try the headless version, I donā€™t think Iā€™d get on with the small screen nowadays sadly, even though M8 looks fantastic.

Do I need to bother with the TouchDesigner program if I just want to use it with the web display?

1 Like

No need for Touch Designer, web display is all you need :+1:

3 Likes

RE: Screen sizeā€¦ For what itā€™s worth it may seem small but itā€™s quite a bit easier than say elektronā€™s red text on a black background. :wink:

33 Likes

I received my tracker on Monday and I must say I love it, I feel like the ā€˜songā€™ workflow that M8 is based on is just great, would love to see similar approach in elektron boxes as I often fell that pattern chaining on digits is too basic and should be improved.

For those interested in paid Ā£440 and import duty was Ā£112, posted on Thursday and delivered on Monday which I think itā€™s pretty good as well.

It does take a while to get comfortable with the navigation and shortcuts but creator is right, after few hours youā€™ll be flying.

Iā€™ll try to be more active in this thread and hopefully post some music.

Back to bed with my M8 lol

8 Likes

Im super into this thingā€¦itā€™s blowing my mind. I was curious the best way to do this:

Sample an idea out of Ableton into the M1. I have a drum beat and chord progression I want to sample into the M8 and want it to be in perfect time. I guess I could just export the 2 parts out as loops and put them on the SD card, but I want to get the sampling down so I can record perfect loops.

I have Midi out from my interface going into the M8. I have the 2 outputs from the interface going into the M8ā€™s audio in. So I think I am close to pulling this off. Obviously if I can figure out how to do it, I can apply it to drum machines and other things as well. Any of you all sample this way?

EDIT - I think I pulled it off, but the sample has a lot of hiss. Gotta learn how to Gainstage properly and I think I will have this sorted.

Ok I have more questions - does this only sample in Mono, and can I preview the sound coming in somehow?

1 Like

Ok this thing is starting to click with me. My first goal for the week is to master the sampler, since I am going to use that a lot.

But I ended up exporting out a stereo pad progression and put that and some samples on the M8. I prefer to work in 4 bars, but this progression is an 8 bar one. How do you all deal with that?

I was thinking of chopping the 8 bars in half as well. Wasnā€™t;t sure if that was overkill but it makes sense. Iā€™ll go with that, and keep everything at 4, hopefully wont have any clicks as this is a sustained pad with a chord change in the middle.