M8 Tracker

Yeah certainly needs a bit of experimentation.
Interpolation neat way of doing it

Awesome, thanks a lot.
I‘ve had the m8 for a week now and I‘m very impressed with it. The UI is so logical and efficient that it‘s not hard to get started even if you‘ve never used trackers.

1 Like

To add to this: it doesn’t need to be the same command on every step, just a range of values in the FX column with valid commands next to them, it works even with a break. It will interpolate between the first and last highlighted value, overwriting everything even if there are higher values in between. And also you have to highlight the values only not the complete command otherwise the shortcut doesn’t work.

4 Likes

Also works in tables for volume etc.

3 Likes

For sampling from internal tracks on the M8, do we use the render view?

From the manual, it looks like when using the record function in the sampler, choosing T1-T8 as the source is for recording external instruments. I was somewhat expecting the internal tracks would be the source audio, which might be useful for recording sequenced sounds from those tracks.

So, if I wanted to grab a small piece of internal audio as a sample, perhaps a sequenced synth, what would be a good way to do that? Use render? Or is there a also a way to use the recording function in the sampler?

I’m reading the manual and tried searching the thread, but it’s somewhat large at this point!

1 Like

Quick render selection in song view by going to selection mode (shift+opt) on song screen, make a selection, and double tap edit.

5 Likes

Note about this topic: interpolation is not needed for relative commands like CUToff, since a repeated value will increase or decrease the last value.

6 Likes

Perfect! That sounds like a great way to quickly grab some audio. It’s not that different from Renoise, where you select the steps/lines you want to render and then use a key combo to render that selection.

Thanks!

1 Like

You can also use multiple REP commands to speed up or slow down the REP’d volume at certain points in the song/phrases. I think that would still be faster (and smoother since it is a tick-based ramp and not per step) than a bunch of volume commands.

4 Likes

Thanks! I was also planning on holding the number pad in my hands since the layout of the buttons is closer to the m8.

Game controller muscle memory is on point (except for Xbox A-B v. Nintendo A-B which sometimes catches me out… :grimacing::laughing:)

1 Like

Is it possible to make the REP stop once it reaches a desired target value? The reason I did the fade with VMV + interpolation is that I had the mix output set as I wanted already and couldn’t be bothered to figure out how many REPs would be needed to go from 0 to my target without going over.

ooooh i misunderstood! i would imagine the number pad would be closer to the real thing in that case

1 Like

Just saw this while googling for a teensy case. This is bonkers! I’m not googling for black covid tests :))))))

6 Likes

What’s the mini EQ your using?

4 Likes

Hey Tim, I own, love and swear by my M8, but I find the tacticel experience of running it on the RG353V much nicer. I guess it’s the bigger punchier screen (way easier on the eyes, yes I know we have big fonts, but I love the regular UI more), and the smaller keys (less finger travel).

I would honestly think of actually getting the M8 guts inside the RG case :slight_smile: but it’s hard to get another M8 if I break it.

2 Likes

You do you. :wink: Honestly I love the mech keys. It is designed to be either handheld or table top. Such as in a live performance setting when having it placed on a table with other equipment. Traditional gameboy style carbon contact / membrane buttons are quite awkward in that environment. Membrane buttons also have an initial expense that comes with them in manufacturing, which only makes sense when producing in large quantities.

14 Likes

I love my RG, but buttons that feel great for gaming just feel mushy to me for the precise navigation of a tracker. It’s one of the things I love the most about the M8: one click always feels like one click. If I know I need to go right two rows and increment the value three times, I know how to do that by feel on my M8. I don’t even have to look at the screen, really. I don’t get that same feeling of precision from any portable game device. (And for good reason. With the exception of maybe Tetris, most games are push-and-hold-and-respond-to-visuals rather than plan-out-descrete-number-of-clicks type thing).

The big buttons may just be a necessary side effect of using keyboard-style switches to get this “distinct click” effect, but I really like the layout regardless. I feel like it helps my muscle memory. Forcing “select” and “start” to the bottom cements them as “modifiers” to me. And it makes me kind of use a different “shape” of my hands for doing different things rather than having all fingers on all buttons all the time. Again this would be a problem in gaming, where miliseconds matter, but for navigation/editing of a tracker, reconfiguring my grip (very slightly!) really works for me as a kind of physical modal switch.

Anyway, YMMV, but wanted to give a “pro M8” take as well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong. I love both. And yeah. I agree with the tabletop environment!