M:S clock out to Keystep issues

Good morning, gents/ladies!
Shortly I hit a wall in trying to send clock out to Keystep from M:S.
I am going away from home for three months and was planning to have this as my portable setup. M:S on it’s own, unsequenced by anything, sending clock out to Keystep which sequences a NTS-1. A Zoom ms70cdr on my Xenyx q802 USB for added effects and a XKEY25 midi keyboard for added freestyle layers via various VSTs, etc.
The wall is that I can’t get Keystep to get clock from M:S (or more exact get M:S to send clock to Keystep, I am still not sure where I am wrong) after hours of reading through of various posts and forums in how to do this. In the photo attached you can see the cables I am using as well for your analisys.

Settings on M:S:
Sync: clock in OFF / clock out ON / PCH in OFF / PCH out ON
IN channel: track 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc, / PCH in AUT
OUT channel: track 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc / FX OUT OFF / PCH out 7 /
PORT: inp from M+U / out to M+U / out pol STD / out through OUT
Midi filter: rcv note OFF / rcv cc OFF / Encs INT

Settings on Keystep: back switches to MIDI
Midi Center: sync clock in/out settings: 1step (gate) / Sync clock start On clock /

I will be leaving tomorrow so I hope to get this sorted by tonight! :frowning:
Thanks in advance to anybody jumping in to give a hand in the matter!

I am also open to suggestions in setting everything differently if I am not seeing the better option.

I would prefer to have M:S only sending clock to Keystep just to have everything in sync. No sequencing.

are you sure it’s correct here ? … (black switches are confusingly the white elements of graphic)

2 Likes

They are like this. So they should up instead of all the way down?

I switched them up and now keystep picks up rhythm when I increase the bpm on the M:S. I was fooled by the pictograms on the back into thinking they should be down. pff

2 Likes

both up is MIDI, so you have internal in that image

1 Like

For a moment it went (the tap light was in sync with whatever bpm I was adjusting on the M:S) now is gone again.
Switches are up, I press record on keystep to record some notes on nts-1, press stop, press play and it doesn’t play at all.

the MS would probably need to be running … try MS stop/start ?

They have confused me yes. It went for a brief moment (tap was flashing in sync with the bpm from M:S) now gone again. no tap light and keystep does not record any notes on nts-1. ah, crap. :slight_smile: it’s tought when you are just starting up. thanks for all your inputs in here, guys!

Yes, before, when it went when I pressed play on M:S and I saw TAP on keystep flashing. Now I press play and nothing happens again.

switching projects changes also the clock out/in settings?

possibly - don’t have the MS - the solution will be there, it sounds like a modest requirement - best check that the korg uses the same midi trs format as the Elektron dongle, i believe it does as it does for teh sq1

check that you are not transposing the keystep sequence from MS, is it possible teh ks OUT may be set as Thru

try swapping midi cables if one seems fine just to sanity check the other

You shouldn’t need to do that for M:S. It can send in TRS-A or TRS-B from the configuration menu. Under ‘Midi Ports’ select an ‘Out Pol’ of ‘STD’ (TRS-A) or ‘INV’ (TRS-B).

1 Like

If it related to having the MS in the middle, then that would potentially require different dongles, plus would also apply to both ports - the point i was trying to make would apply if using mixed trs format devices, i.e. type A and B whilst using the two Elektron dongles - the Elektron toggle takes care of it if using a straight TRS-TRS

In any case, for the example here, the midi is from the normal DIN port, so it was just about the Korg dongle format as the MS is not involved - the keystep was failing to program the small korg via the dongle, most likely a channel issue or setting, just raised the dongle/cable as an option to check although the Elektron dongle should be the same as the Korg in my experience

The soft switch between standard and then choosing inverse applies to using a type B (i.e. non Elektron) dongle, or going direct with a straight 3.5 trs cable to an older device with type b trs - a non-straight swapping trs >rts cable would be required were it not for Elektron’s handy soft swap feature

The issue here is likely something else maybe with Arturia/Korg setup

Ah … I must have missed a step … I thought the issue being addressed was M:S <-> Keystep. Apologies if I confused the issue.

1 Like