M:S Audio Ouputs - 2xMono?

Hi everyone,
What is the difference, signal-wise, between the L and R audio outputs? I understand that the M:S handles MONO samples only, but why then have L+R outputs? Is that “just” for panning FX on the mixer, or applying external STEREO FXs such as reverbs, etc?
Stupid question, perhaps, but I need to save input lines on my mixer and I’m not sure what I’d loose if I just take the L audio output in the M:S and plug it into one channel on the mixer, as opposed to have both L and R currently wired to two separate mixing channels.
Thanks for enlightening me here,
el domo

It’s just as you said - for panning tracks internally on the M:S and for the stereo effects, or for output to stereo effects/mixer. I think you’d be fine to get away with just using one mono channel and I reckon you wouldn’t lose much! Especially if this is for a live setting, the stereo field on the reverb isn’t going to matter much.

If you don’t use the internal FX much, you can e.g. hard pan the kick left and keep the rest on the right, so that you can mix them as two different mono channels.

3 Likes

Understood - thanks a lot for your time.

I’m not using the internal FX much compared to external ones, no. If there’s no difference between L and R on the audio outputs, I think I’ve got my answer: one will do the job just fine. Thanks for your time!