M:C obsolete now there's ST?

For me the main difference is, apparently the models C & S are now stopped in their firmware evolution…not ST

Unfortunately, I now suspect you’re right

1 Like

this post has done more to make me GAS for a M:C than anything else

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think M:C is great and so fun. I don’t think is now obsolete, because you could get a 6 track elektron drumsynth style with low price.

If you want more edition, song mode, more machines, etc… Then you have syntakt.

Don’t think they are in the same league.

I keep checking Elektron’s website, hoping for a firmware upgrade and all kind of goodies for both Models but I’m afraid I’ll never see it coming…
Which is really weird considering the sales!
Thomann’s sales rank (Model:Cycles is 4th in Drum Machines in the UK and all over Europe).

4 Likes

Re the possibility of a firmware update:

5 Likes

Rytm still has kits (change to any pattern that uses the same kit without parameter jumps…), performance macros and scenes, sequencer modes like direct start and direct jump, sample playback layers nicely with the analog machines. The compressor in the Rytm is also great. Individual outputs (with Impulse machines AR is also a trigger sequencer for your modular).

Great package basically.

I’m not really interested in Syntakt and/or Digitakt…

100% agreed and combine the AR with an A4 or an octatrack and you got music to create for years to come

Limited sound palette is a good thing imo. It’s like an 808. It does what it does well.

But MC, while limited, really has so much terrain to explore. If you change the octaves of the keyboard in track settings, you can find many more areas that aren’t accessible with the ±24 of the pitch knob.

But I think the idea is, no one complains when they hear an 808 kick or cymbal for the ten thousandth time, and I think the MC has some classic, functional sounds like that.

2 Likes

Yep, and with OT your Elektron sampling needs are probably covered, an AR Mk1 might suffice.
OT can provide a master filter + compressor (or other effects) for the Rytm.

Maybe someone that already has an Octatrack would buy the Rytm for what it has to offer.
Syntakt inherited the most interesting machines, but it also lost some features, compared to Rytm…

It’s not all black&white…

Before going in excess of enthusiasm,
the exact phrase I have been told is:
“We plan to implement a pad sensitivity setting for a future update to improve the pad feel.”

…we need to keep calm, for what I saw, Elektron never disappointed in matter of support…honestly is one of the best (I own a DN, and I had experience with other Elektron gear). This is a “cheap” device respect to the other Elektron gear, it is reasonable a more dilated firmware release rate

4 Likes

I Kinda get what you are saying. But at the same time, the M:C is marketed as a FM based groovebox, not a drum machine. Yet 4 out of 6 machines it has are percussive sound machines.

With that in mind, I think it would make sense to add some more melodic machines (2 seems ideal if you go on the machine screen there seems to be 2 spots left) to it without turning it into the syntakt.

Ess hinted on his Q and A at a 7th machine almost making it into the M:C for example…

Also it lacking key jam features like performance mode or keyboard scales is really weird imo.

They did the syntakt good, and I bet the reason why it got updated quick with the other digiboxes is because they all share the same environment.

Now that they all got updated I expect both models to have some firmware updates, namely very obvious stuff like pad sensitivity settings, attack control, keyboard scales and performance/lite song mode, would really be a great addition to both Models.

If on top of that the Cycles, which is more limited in sound design, could get a few machines, that would be the cherry on the top lol.

With the Syntakt out, first updates and new machines done, song-mode out of the way, then if there’ll ever be a Model update, it will be now.

1 Like

man I hope there’s a model update soon :relaxed: :partying_face:

2 Likes

They really ought to do it, the pads are absolutely unusable if you dont do the black tape hack…
Its really a shame when they programmed velocity modulation with different parameters but its absolutely unusable because the pads are so bad… like half of the fun of the Model is gone just like that. Kinda bummed that it takes them this much time for such a simple fix…

Is it a simple fix?

there are similarities in some of the devices… DT - M:S, DN - M:C, ST - M:C … but there is still the price difference…

Adding sensitivity profiles for pads? Seems easy to me.

Model:Cycles shares 0 similarities with the DN, I don’t know why people keep mentionning that…

isnt it based on fm synthesis? otherwise ok then not…

One of the lead developers mentioned they took the Digitone engine and macro-ized it for the M:C, IIRC.