M.C and Launchpad mini

Hello, do you think is it possible to connect a Launchpad mini mk3 to an Elektron model cycles, in standalone without using a computer ? With a USB midi host ? If so, could I benefit from all the mapping features of Launchpad mini ? THANKS.

Yes!

I dont own a MC, but I do own 2 LPmMK3s and 2 LP-Xs.

A USB host works fine, can even do 2-way communication. The LPs respond to incoming midi as if they’ve been pressed etc.

Remember to try ‘Global Channel’, allows you to set a CC or note for a pad and be able to switch its midi channel on the LP itself (all pads set to Global will change).

Also any notes you put in custom mappings can be transposed in semitones with the pink arrows. Press both together to reset transpose.

One last thing: I love the LPminiMK3 for its form factor, however it only allows to store 3 custom mappings. The LPX/Pro is bigger but stores up to 8 custom mappings, plus you get velocity sensitivity.

The velocity sensitivity is good for playing notes/drums etc but also has another use. You can put a ‘CC Fader’ in a mapping.

Its NOT the same as putting seperate CC pads, it has unique properties, you can press a pad gently and it will slowly raise the fader over the next couple of seconds. Its a cool feature, just wish it went even slower for longer fade-ins.

The LPminiMK3 cant do that obviously as it has no velocity sensitivity.

The LP Pro MK3 I’ve never used but I believe it has all that plus a TRS midi out, plus a 4 channel step-sequencer built in. Its a bit bigger than the LPX though!

Please note! All the above relates to Custom mappings only! I have never used one in normal mode where your DAW recognises it etc, have no idea what it does then. Might be useful to you?

Hope that helps!

Thanks, that’s a good start!