Lyric writing apps that record, suggest rhymes, etc... any recommendations?

Moving beyond voice notes, I’m looking for a lyric writing app that will let me type some words, record audio note alongside it (to capture melody and backing ideas) and also ideally do things like suggest rhymes, count syllables, etc…

I’ve spent half an hour reading and looking on the app stores but it’s one of those areas that’s infested with stupid AI or content farm write ups of obviously hopeless amateur or elderly apps.

Any recommendations? Is there one big app I’m missing?

Android, but ideally iOS too (as I’ll move to iPhone when they switch to usbc charging shortly).

Thanks, fellow geeks!

1 Like

Just google the word you want to rhyme along with the words “rhymes with”.

Yeah but I want an app that will do that automatically in context to the last word in a row, count the syllables, record audio snippets from crappy phone mic, etc. There’s lots of apps that seem to do some of this, but I can’t fight through the forest to find the three worth actually trying.

So you’re saying that you’re incapable of writing lyrics and rhyming on your own. You should stick to sampling.

1 Like

A thesaurus

No good. OP wants to sit back while an app writes lyrics.

work together with a lyricist

5 Likes

Roses are red, violets are blue…

Here, let me google that for you!

I too, felt the same thing upon reading the title. It’s basically asking for the robots to go to work.

But taking a step back I think there are a few things we should be thoughtful of before ending up at frustration.

This post not only condones @uglymule and his final destination of frustration but is also nothing the OP asked for. It’s a great suggestion but what if he lives somewhere remote that frowns upon rap?

I’m sorry if some people may mistaken my replies as grumpy lol I just want to try and keep this forum open and friendly.

Our poor OP… we’d be lucky if he returns. He may have some valuable insights down the road. He may go through this process of “robot help” and become a preacher for why it’s completely against the grain of humanity.

Creativity is one of the greatest gifts we as humans possess.

From me… I can’t recommend any app specifically tailored to your needs. Have you tried looking into making an app that can do this for you? Maybe you need to be the one to create it so you won’t be missing it anymore.

What’s your purpose for rhyming? If you want to see yourself on billboards and your name in bright neon lights then you’ll probably need to graft. If an app like this did exist then it may get you started - and while that may be all you need for the flower of your creative channel to blossom - you’ll definitely need more than that to make it into the hearts of fans.

You may be just doing this for fun and spitting bars might bring you heaps of happiness. If it is just plain old fun you’re looking for then why not seek out the right tools to utilise?

Which is it?

Do you want to go deeper?
The greatest rhymers existed before an iPhone. Would Rakim or Eminem be as good with the aid of todays technology? I watched an interview recently with Dizzee Rascal and he was saying that he took a lot of inspiration from American Hip-Hop because it sounded like where he is from. The other rappers that were names at the time were more like hosts at Garage events and while it was good to hype the crowd they didn’t go deeper with lyrics like Wylie, D Double E, Kano etc.
so Dizzee took inspiration from them, put in the work and found his voice as a rapper.

What will your voice be? Ai generated or you?
I think todays technology and getting inspiration from other sources is great. Just make sure you graft as well.

3 Likes

If you actually want an AI to write lyrics for you, that heavily suggests you have nothing to say.
So then why even bother with lyrics at all?

If you do have something to say, you dont need rhyme at all.

I think the title should be:

Lyric writing: helper apps

perhaps there would be less negativity.

He doesn’t say he wants an app that writes lyrics for him, like nowhere at all:

let me type some words, record audio note alongside it (to capture melody and backing ideas) and also ideally do things like suggest rhymes, count syllables

Somebody suggested to use Google which is fine and that is certainly what he is already doing but he just wants to speed up the process and there’s nothing wrong with that, it would allow him to stay in the creative flow instead of being interrupted by rather mundane tasks, like you know, cabling your gear before jamming out. He’s looking (from what I gathered from his post) for an app that could gather everything in one place: type lyrics, record the related melody, suggest rhymes, count syllables. Now he is certainly jumping from A to B to C to get the same result.

An app easing the writing process is along the lines of our dear Elektron sequencers or well, what computers were created for: make our life easier and more productive so that we can gain time for other things (be it working on the next song already!).

Anyway, as a matter of fact, it takes me about 2 to 3 more time to write the lyrics than to write the song itself. And I do google and I like to “encounter” words, they spark ideas. It’s like when I put random trigs on my sequencer and find something that I like. But damn yeah, if I could just sing or type a few words in an app so that I don’t have to go through all the searching on the web (and the ads) and get some suggestions for words right away, that would be great! So I totally get the OP. It would just make my life easier (I don’t bother with rhymes but I guess it depends on the genre but I would be happy with some “related” words from synonyms to antonyms or a list of words for a theme)

now… is there an app for that?
No idea, never looked into it.
if ChatGPT has an API, I’m sure somebody could create an app with voice recognition (already available in our phones) that would add: “count the syllables and find possible rhymes with the final word of this sentence:” in front of the prompt each time. then it would be a matter of adding recorded snippets list, managing the list, edit the results… (the boring stuffs).

3 Likes

Check this. Available as Ios and Android app too. It exist for longer then a decade so no fancy AI but building dictionary, rhyme suggestions, audio recording options, backing track import options and easy rearranging of lyric blocks. This is the developers channel from way back. Sure there are more previews to find to see xplore if this is what your looking for.

https://youtu.be/jmM9MpCqeE0? si=CnoD9-2t2_nIxRVI

I’m not looking for AI lyric writing, just the features above. A notepad app, but tailored to lyric writing, that has audio notes alongside text notes, and ideally rhyming dictionary built in (I don’t think rhyming dictionaries are a crime!). One I’ve seen automatically tries to count syllables, I sceptically think that might be useful when jamming out text.

This app has a million downloads and looks ok, I guess it’s not the kind of tool that’s used much by people on this thread so far, so I’ll just dig into them myself. Still keen to hear if anyone else has been down this rabbit hole before me!

2 Likes

This one seems to let you upload your own audio file as the backing to listen to while you write, which could be useful (going back to older ideas later on train etc) but seems otherwise very rudimentary.

1 Like

(I worked via online file exchange with lyricists from countries far away, and they are not rappers :wink: )

2 Likes

Just some feedback

This app is great, does all I wanted: I can write lyrics text in a notepad, record audio snippets in context to remember melodies, and has a quick rhyming dictionary lookup

This one’s good, it has better features (count syllables, colour code rhymes) that you don’t use much but they’re kind of nice feedback and context. But it’s a bit clunky in execution and there are tons of reviews saying it deleted all their work.

(Big friendly baffled wave to the people above who think using a rhyming dictionary - or an app that lets you type and store text and sounds - is AI and cheating!).