LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

That interface is SO dope. I want one.

1 Like

Sometimes humanity is pretty dope.

2 Likes

Hello, Lyra users.

I am interested by the Lyra, but I am not in to harsh/industrial/disconant, desolation sounds.
would you say that the machine still deep/interesting without this aspect of it?

I vastly prefer its sweet yet characterful/organic/unpredictable side, landscapes, etc.
Is it easily doable to stay in the more tamed domain, or easy to quickly come back to it when things start to seriously go south :grin: ?

Well, you can get softer sounds out of it and make 'em as lush as you want, but you will have to look for it extensively, I guess. Another suggestion could be Elmyra, fron Neutral Labs. Same principle, other ā€˜timbreā€™ and altough it can also be nasty, itā€™s not as wild as Lyra as far as I feel it.

Oh, and donā€™t forget your reverb fx. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve only had mine for a few weeks, it does not have to be industrial or harsh, but with all the nonlinear interactions itā€™s sometimes hard to keep it from going thereā€¦ but I am a newbie.

There is definitely ways to keep it sweeter, very nice pleasant drones, for sure. It is not necessarily so hard to set these drones up but even the minutest changes can affect part or all of the ā€œpatchā€ you have going. Never have I played a synth where the smallest differences in a knob make such big changes, I just slowly turn one tune knob for example and listen to all the changes that happen.

Hereā€™s a few little things demonstrating some other sides to it, maybe not focused on in videos (there are a lot and I have not watched them all) although maybe still a bit harsher than your looking for. Iā€™m just trying to use my soundcloud more for participating in discussions :slight_smile:

4 Likes

thank you for your answer, I will look into that Elmyra!! :smiley:

:+1:
also am thinking that a nice LPF and EQ like the one on my analog heat could be nice to sweeten things.
what about this setup I just found on YouTube ? :grin:

2 Likes

thank you, especially for the clips that you shared!
even if it sounds - note sure how I would call it exactly - say a bit noisy or dissonant, it somehow manages to remain very pleasant to the ear, not too harsh in the frequency content.

Hello,

You can get softer tones with the lyra, but if you want to go far with the shape of the oscillators or modulations youā€™ll need an eq or a filterā€¦ i use a shallow water for that it really helps

3 Likes

I think so. The Eno preset is one way to do it. The presets published by SOMA EU are here:

This track starts with the Eno preset. I did add dirt to it by dialing up the Drive knob - could have been smoother by dialing Drive all the way down. As shown in the Eno preset, keep all the Sharp knobs all the way down as well for max smoothness. It was very easy to gradually change the sound to something harsher. It would have been just as easy to bring the sound back to the sweet side.

5 Likes

Totally possible! It partly depends how you gel with the instrument though I think. Some people find it very hard to tame, others can feel their way around it differently.

As others have said, reverrrrrrb is your biggest friend here (I run mine through a Ventris). Honestly, I donā€™t tend to EQ or filter mine much, and Iā€™ve had so much raw beauty out of it. Although I do keep meaning to experiment with running it through a Boomstar filter for funā€¦

1 Like

great, thank you!
nice track :slight_smile:

being able to go back and forth easily between harsher and softer sounds interesting, I am not opposed to a little bite here and there
without the bite you canā€™t appreciate the sweetness as much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Once you learn how to use it (which takes a while) you can get as smooth a set of tones out of it as you want to, or harsh, or all sorts really.
But you do have to be willing to sit down with it for quite a long time figuring it out.

2 Likes

I totally disagree. It has a very distinct timbre, and while I think itā€™s great instrument, itā€™s probably also one of the least versatile, Iā€™ve tried. So, if you love the sounds, you are hearing in the demoes online, then youā€™ll probably love it. If not, donā€™t expect to take it to a radically different place.

3 Likes

This isnt mine. Found it just now. Ticks a lot of boxes for me.

7 Likes

Anyone with a lyra8 and digitone tried to use DN headphones out>lyra in and lyra out DN-input? If you be gentle on the gain in with the DN it keeps feedbackloop very controllable. Havent got the Lyra unfortunately but i tried this hookup with tape delay and had a lot of fun. Works kinda like an insert on DN

1 Like

Yeah, Lyra 8 is such a beautifuly dark beast

Some great examples of the Lyra8ā€™s versatility in here!

So as told in a post earlier I added my friends poem as spoken words to my impro performance.

I think it gave it a new dimension. I tried keeping the raw / dirty sound to it. Unfortunately to understand the poem you need to know Danish. Might do an English version though.

Edit: this was made on a Lyra8 put through a Source Collider

6 Likes

People who want to get a taste of what the Lyra-8 might be capable of should check the Lira-8 VST @Bwax linked up in this thread. As someone who had the Lyra-8 for about a year, I think itā€™s a pretty darn nice emulation of a near-inimitable instrument.

2 Likes

Robot plays Lyra-8

https://youtu.be/CBUEVPCUi_M

2 Likes

Whelp, now I need a robot. Thanks.

1 Like