LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

That’s by far my preferred type.

But, of course, you can’t stick her in a choir (maybe even singing Christmas carols) without getting severe issues.

1 Like

It takes a long time to figure Lyra out, years probably.

But look at what can be done once you’ve mastered it.

5 Likes

Well, for your purposes, you could start by running it into some bigass reverbs. That’ll soften it a lot and give you the ethereal. I use the Source Audio Ventris… And all of a sudden, you have really characterful, sustained lead lines, or beautiful haunting stuff. Or, you could use it for some sexy block chords, with organ type qualities. Neither of those are at all sinister! Or for a droning kinda underscoring for indie guitars, which fills space.

It’s certainly not uncontrollable - I’ve found it to be very adaptable and easy enough to work with. The only thing is that I obsessively tune and re-tune it which can take some time!

Re. running drums through, have you applied the LFOs to the delay?

4 Likes

15.55-16.15 in this video? I think this is just playing with the delay section - turn the feedback all the way up and then play with the various parameters… It gets you all manner of vibes! Find one you like and use it as an underscore, or set your DAW recording and keep tweaking so you can chop up the results and make them more rhythmic / musical later.

Deeper reverb use, that’s exactly what I plan to try next. I have big ol plate here, as well as an Ursa Major 626 & re-201. That said if it’s a dense track, reverb can murk things up too much. Always a juggling act. Also gonna dig deeper into the LFOs when processing drums etc. Good point.

In the video (drift) above is a good example of juxtaposing some beautiful piano with it’s drone around 8min in. One of the kinda uses that attracted to me to giving her a whirl in the first place.

It’s great to see y’all pointing this stuff out. This is one piece that kinda coaxes you to keep it. It’s build quality & ascetics really are appreciable.

I’d also think this to be a totally valuable tool for anyone doing more music to picture score work.

I have a track that just came out where the lead riff is 100% Lyra 8 processor through the modular. The rest is all modular too. I’ve sold the Lyra 8 since but I’ve always really liked this track :

8 Likes

Didn’t waste any time to get that kick going. Punishing! Absolutely amazing! (Great use of Lyra as well.)

1 Like

Lyra droning on her own…

4 Likes

Moar Droning

5 Likes

Noisy Lyra!

5 Likes

Very nice. Reminds me of the early weevil stuff I did.
Super useable. Load that entire recording into sampler, pick a start point, set a one bar pattern, add a kick drum.
Techno.

3 Likes

I really wish the lfo was clockable, would make this lyra + kick thing much easier

1 Like

That’d take all the fun out of it though

4 Likes

Lyra got a new friend for Christmas.

They made this together. Very foggy.

6 Likes

i’ve been making music with the Lyra for some time now and was looking for new patch ideas and uses today … that’s when i came across this thread … great inspiration. A few months ago I also made some soundscape videos combining the Lyra music with self painted pictures. here is a little insight:

8 Likes

and btw: a friend told me he found a site where Lyra users share their patches … unfortunately he forgot where that was … :roll_eyes:… does anyone here have an idea?

1 Like

This track was my first attempt at a dark ambient impro performance on my Lyra-8 through an Source Audio Collider. I think it came out pretty well. Next step is to add some spoken word on top of it.

6 Likes

Seen on FB:

Antigong demo:

3 Likes

That’s real dedication (extra points for the custom touch interface). I’ve tried something similar myself, but never gone that far since I have the hardware.

2 Likes

I’m up to midify my Lyra-8 so I can sequence all voices separately. The idea is simple: the trigger “buttons” on the Lyra-8 are simple switches which can be easily operated by midified switches instead of your fingers (closing the connection between the upper and the lower “button” which is GND/ground).

Something like this:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodrel.htm

can do the job. Of course it don’t need to be a mechanical relay, because there isn’t almost no current involved, but it needs to provide 8 switches controllable by MIDI.

Since I’m too old and too lazy to build one myself: does anyone know a cheap midi-to-multi-switches device for purchase in Central Europe?

Update:

I guess I’ve found a matching one. In case someone else is interested:

7 Likes