LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

Drone on drone action?

I see people trying to sequence the Lyra through usual methods. I don’t know if a lot of people know this but you can place a coin on top of the contacts to open just that channels vca. With that you can apply the modulation cv in the back, and then run the output into an external vca that has a sequenced gate opening it up. At least that’s one way of doing it.

3 Likes

Sometimes even controlling one voice makes a difference:

(OT’s sequencer with all its conditional tricks would make even more)

3 Likes

Ive seen on many places ppl wondering why Lyra’s oscillators are not stable or clean at certain frequencies even without any modulations engaged.
At the beginning of this video Vlad (while showing a Lyra to Hillary Clinton) says that VCAs can modulate VCOs so maybe that’s the answer.

How dare you!
That’s Sylvia fucking Massy!
Show some respect.

4 Likes

She did get her own one!

7 Likes

Respect? You voted for the other guy, didn’t you?! :crazy_face:
Btw, Massy is her artistic pseudonym!

But, don’t change the subject… What do say about VCAs modulating VCOs? That pretty radical imo!

1 Like

Sylvia rules

There is also a guy off to the side that looks a bit like Reznor, but it’s obviously not him as they talk about him in third person right after the demo.

1 Like

Everything modulates everything else. That’s the whole deal with Lyra.

1 Like

White is beautiful! Clean, heavenly look!

Precision pots seem to be very useful for FM modulation:

These are 10 times more precise than the original ones and still when he moves them a millimetre the sound changes completely!

4 Likes

Just giving some free promotion for a fellow naut. The Lyra sounds incredible here:

9 Likes

Little imrprov drone/noise piece from this morning.
This is just the Lyra, a Quadraverb and my phone playing a Captain Beefheart interview.

8 Likes

Kenton has options to switch between v/oct and hz/volt, looks like parameter 15 on that particular box. In general Kentons are highly configurable.

Either way will control the cv, just with different scaling. As the lyra is non-linear you’ll just get different results for the same sequence, I believe.

2 Likes

Knowledge.
Thanks for the clarification.

Short answer is you can’t. The pitch control input is not tuned for chromatic voltage it’s more like a vibrato input. There’s no tuning the oscillators on the fly besides playing by ear or setting up a scale and playing the pads like an instrument.

2 Likes

Hey that’s me! :joy:

2 Likes

F’ing amazing man! The Lyra is going to become the drone metal axe of the 2020’s. Great work on the Elektrons as well.

1 Like

This guy says that his new The Pacifist Lyra sounds differently to 3 of his previously owned Lyras! Wtph?! If this was true id have waited with ordering mine!

3 Likes