LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

I totally disagree. It has a very distinct timbre, and while I think it’s great instrument, it’s probably also one of the least versatile, I’ve tried. So, if you love the sounds, you are hearing in the demoes online, then you’ll probably love it. If not, don’t expect to take it to a radically different place.

3 Likes

This isnt mine. Found it just now. Ticks a lot of boxes for me.

7 Likes

Anyone with a lyra8 and digitone tried to use DN headphones out>lyra in and lyra out DN-input? If you be gentle on the gain in with the DN it keeps feedbackloop very controllable. Havent got the Lyra unfortunately but i tried this hookup with tape delay and had a lot of fun. Works kinda like an insert on DN

1 Like

Yeah, Lyra 8 is such a beautifuly dark beast

Some great examples of the Lyra8’s versatility in here!

So as told in a post earlier I added my friends poem as spoken words to my impro performance.

I think it gave it a new dimension. I tried keeping the raw / dirty sound to it. Unfortunately to understand the poem you need to know Danish. Might do an English version though.

Edit: this was made on a Lyra8 put through a Source Collider

6 Likes

People who want to get a taste of what the Lyra-8 might be capable of should check the Lira-8 VST @Bwax linked up in this thread. As someone who had the Lyra-8 for about a year, I think it’s a pretty darn nice emulation of a near-inimitable instrument.

2 Likes

Robot plays Lyra-8

https://youtu.be/CBUEVPCUi_M

2 Likes

Whelp, now I need a robot. Thanks.

1 Like

And now… curious… GAS! Thx to the link in this thread I installed the lira8 vst and now i like to know from users of the hardware unit: on what ground can you convince me to spend €699,- on the hardware unit? After installation of the VSt i spend hours on the knobs of a connected midi controller. Have the vst run through valhalla shimmer and other stereo fx. It’s very rewarding and tempting to buy this unit as a standalone and i am wondering if i won’t miss to be able to record automation and store and recall presets as the digital clone is able to. Also no bleed or noise. Is the hardware so much more handson and organic that the €699 is a no brainer?

I’d say it totally depends on what you want to achieve with the instrument. 700€ is a lot of money. If you’re planning to sample it or just use it for textures or drones here and there in your music, I think the VST is enough for that. That’s why I sold the hardware unit and haven’t really missed it. However, if you actually want to PLAY it, there’s no comparison between the VST and the actual Lyra-8, in my opinion. Many have said playing the Lyra-8, especially as a (more or less) solo instrument can be an almost spiritual experience, and I think that’s not an exaggeration. That thing is ALIVE like no other synthesizer I’ve ever played. Lira is a surprisingly good emulation of a near-inimitable instrument but it’s just bound to fall short in multiple areas of the whole Lyra experience.

1 Like

Thx. I am afraid i saw this answer coming. what you describe it is worth every penny. At least cheap for a russian tank :grinning:

Having had the Lyra-4 for a few days now (after having the 8) I can report it does sound pretty much the same. A little easier to control since the one set of four voices can’t modulate the other side. No input in stock form, a bit of a letdown. Still nice having for the size and rarity of it, and since it was Soma’s first official product.

6 Likes

I have tried to balance my rig using synths mainly in 3 categories.

First out, the tweaks and easy access workhorses like Moog One, Voyager, Rev 2 and NL4

Secondly the synths being part to my modular rig. Matriarch, Mothers, Dfam and assorted moduls.

And then there is chaos, items you really can´t control.

In this category you will find Lyra-8.

The 3 categories have different functions for the creative process.

1. If I sit too much working with preset synths I get a bit bored. It´s so easy to fall into a same kind of ideas.

2. If I sit too much working with my modulars I tend to be a bit restless. Patching patching… come on!!!

3. Chaos is what it is. I can´t stay too long since I will lose the structure.

But with the right mix, a little bit of everything, it will create a sea of possibilities.

With that being said I love my Lyra-8

3 Likes

The bleed and noise is part of the reason to get it!

Hook it up to something like a Heat on High Gain, turn the delay mix knob up, and you hear all kinds of interesting sounds, even before playing a note. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I was about to say this! No bleed, no noise?! That’s half the point!

2 Likes

Got bored of making nice music, so made some shitty noise crap. Just me, Lyra and a couple of effects.

3 Likes

Come on be honest, its a cover of crazy horses by The Osmonds.

Edit: still listening. Man I’d be chucking this whole sample in the OT and slicing it up for techno noise filth. Add some drum sounds or DFAM or what ever.

4 Likes

I’ve played around with the Lyra8 for some months now and really enjoy the immidiacy and unforgiveness of the instrument. Lately I have been trying to combine the sound with a DFAM to get some Industrial ambient kind of vibe to it. I did this improvisation and got a pretty nice result (raw sound, you need headphones to get the details).

I think they are a great combo and amusing to play albeit a bit uncontrollable to play live.

1 Like

Do you guys know of any actual albums that feature the Lyra predominantly? As much as I like to listen to separate tracks on youtube or soundcloud, I’d really like to just put a longer album on while reading or running.

You can read while the Lyra is playing?

1 Like