Low end of Analog Rytm kicks

Well I think it all depends the genre of music your doing.
i try to adjust the envelopes till it has the balance and catches the groove of the track and play it with the bass .

1 Like

Low thumpy kicks are nice, but yeah like @Undertaker said it depends on the context.

Sometimes I think shortening/adjusting the volume decay of the kick works fine too. Just rolling off the lows overall might get rid of the… meaty click (?) of the transient, whereas it’s actually just the long boooooomy tail that’s not right. Careful not to remove the actual tonal element of the kick too much though.

4 Likes

Really depends for me. Since ultimately it’s about how much low end is in the track it depends what the kick is conflicting with. Sometimes I’ll sacrifice some low end in the bass line to preserve a kick sound I can’t do without. Also on the rytm specifically, I’m careful to filter/ eq low frequency content out of any sound that doesn’t need it since the low end tends to pile up.

4 Likes

I’ve been setting a high pass filter on the Rytm’s kicks, tuned to the fundamental of the kick, adding a little resonance for more bass if needed. That’ll roll off most stuff below the fundamental.

5 Likes

How do you go about tuning the filter so precisely?

Someone made an excellent tuning table for the Rytm a while back: [ PDF Tool ] Tuning Table for Analog Rytm

In the Dropbox link for that post there’s a PDF for the Rytm that has a FILT section with tuning for the filter.

6 Likes

This

1 Like

Yeah, those analog circuits in the Rytm can hammer out quite some low end.

If the bassline is playing above the kick (I do this often (kick in the range 55-65 hz, notes A to C tuned to the key of the track and bassline in the octave above), I find I can cut the kick at 30 hz with an eq and use the low pass filter in the Rytm for crafting the top end of the kick.

If the bassline is lower than the kick, I low pass filter the bassline to make room for the kick and also cut sharp at 30 hz - high pass the kick with a little resonance in the Rytm for a little res bump and basically use more transient heavy, clicky kicks.

Sharp high pass filters placed below the fundamental work great without impacting the sound.
If your kick has its fundamental at 55 hz, you can probaply cut sharp (48 db/oct - 72 db/oct) at around 50 hz.

For the bassline, take the lowest note in the sequence and cut below it.

It also makes sense to think about where your kick and bassline will sit before you start turning knobs and putting notes in the sequencer. Maybe keep an eye on the spectrum analyser, it will make mixing much, much easier.

10 Likes

The kick should kick you in the chest, the bass - in the stomach

1 Like

when cutting with hipass filter, keep in mind that more then 6db/octave will affect the phase of the sound / kick and will also add resonance around the corner frequency. rolling off with a 6db filter will sound more naturally … but will maybe also cut some higher frequencies out. So just try and try …

4 Likes

That’s amazing. Has anyone done this for the machinedrum ?

1 Like

I mostly mix through overbridge but yes, I have an EQ Eight defaulted to low cut below 35 hz on every channel (not just kick). Good mixing tips in this thread for sculpting in the Rytm that I’ll need to try out

1 Like

Could you expand on this I do not understand. I thought phase was a stereo thing.

I had the same issue with the Jomox M.base 11. Its just a matter of mixing, you can only have so much volume of a specific frequency at any given time.

Reminder that this happened when they first unveiled it at NAMM

afbeelding

13 Likes

I used to get similar notices from our local council when the neighbours complained about our house parties. After four such notes I realised I should just invite them.

4 Likes

A lot of great tips here, thanks all! In general, the advice reasonably involves different methods of eq. Just curious if any of you ever use one of those really big kicks that go very deep in the low end and simply leave it in all its glory rather than using any eq? I imagine this would be in a very minimalistic track where the bass is heavily sidechained or situations where there is no bass at all? I’d be very interested to hear any tracks that use one of those big AR kicks without eq if anyone is doing that.

I agree, some good advice in here.

IMO, Its better to have the frequencies there to cut than to try to make up for them by adding things in mixing. Not surprising that the AR Kick can sound too muddy without proper HP filtering. Proper bit of kit!

1 Like

Phase is a very broad concept I guess, but when talking about filters, it‘s when any kind of frequency content of a sound gets „smeared“ back in time. That‘s because of how the filters themselves function, with feedback and such, because they can‘t – well, some can – look ahead of time of what the incoming signal is going to be.

lengthy blabla

That‘s the first best image that I found on google, green would be the input signal, red would be the regularly filtered signal. It‘s smoother, the higher frequency content is removed, but also some frequency content is phase shifted back in time, that‘s why it looks like it‘s lagging. Blue would be a lowpass with no phaseshift, the wave begins to drift upwards before even the original green signal does its step.

6dB filters also introduce phaseshift, but usually not so strong as steeper filters.

There‘s more to it as always, I hope I didn‘t get too sciency (or not enough sciency?)

5 Likes

If you have the X.05 firmware you can tune most of the machines very easily, no chart needed. I think there exists one though.

1 Like