Loud popping sound when I route Digitone Audio into Digitakt

I am having an issue where I hear a loud intermittent popping sound (static) when I route audio from my Digitone into my Digitakt. It is happening with both output to speakers and to headphones, on both L & R channels. I have tried using different audio cables (balanced and unbalanced), unplugging all other cables (MIDI, usb), pluggin the units into different power outlets, swapping the power cords, and nothing seems to work. Note that I don’t have this issue when I go the other way around and route the audio from the Digitakt into the Digitone. I have also tried lowering the levels on the Digitone output and the input levels on the master page on the Digitakt, I still have the issue. Any ideas?

My setup is exactly like this, DN into DT.

Have you tried with other audio sources? I mean plug anything other into the Digitakts inputs. The Digitakt inputs are dirt and dust free?

That’s a great idea! I will try it with other audio sources and check to make sure everything is clean.

I tried plugging other synths into the DT inputs and it is still making the noise. The DT has to be the problem. I also tried cleaning out the inputs with compressed air and it didn’t make a difference. It even makes the noise when there is nothing plugged into the other end of the input cables. But it does not make the noise if I unplug the audio cables from the DT inputs. Here is a video of the issue:

1 Like

Oh.

At this point I would contact Elektron Customer Service.

Don’t forget to sample the sound with DT if you like it.

Out of curiosity: have you tried different situations to supply power? Other socket, the DT power supply? Or different project, flashing firmware etc. Sorry but nothing which might obviously solve the annoyance.

1 Like

Fantastic idea. Hadn’t thought about sampling it. I definitely will try that. I have tried a bunch of different power options, my initial thought was that it was some kind of electrical issue or noise. I haven’t tried every variable, but you are right, it was time to reach out to Elektron so I have put a ticket in.

Thank you for your help!

what’s the name of that mixer?

It’s a Behringer Flow 8

1 Like

Closing the loop here. It went to Elektron for repair and it came back in working order. No more popping.

3 Likes

Sorry, was it your Digitone or Digitakt that was repaired?

I’m experiencing a similar issue and I’ve isolated the problem down to the left line-in on the Digitakt. The popping occurs regardless of audio source (although it does not occur if there is no cable connected or the line is quiet).

Also to note that it does not occur if the audio is panned fully to the right. But when there’s even a small amount of sound panned left, the popping is present (amplitude is the same regardless).

Hi, the digitakt was repaired. Elektronturned it around very quickly and the problem has not surfaced again.

2 Likes

Thanks.

For posterity, here’s something else I’ve noticed today: it’s much more prevalent when the Digitakt is first turned on. After a few hours, i can’t reproduce it.

Elektron support advised me to contact the retailer to replace the Digitakt which I’ve now done and the same problem persists. I’ve tried swapping through a variety of input cables, audio sources, and the popping sound remains audable in digitakt-recorded samples, headphone out, and L/R out.

I’m at a bit of a loss what the source of the noise is. Is it really possible that I happened upon two Digitakts with the same broken Input L jack? A bad batch from the same retailer? I’m skeptical but can’t find any other explanation.

I just started having this issue today. I’m going to see If I can isolate it as well. I’ll post back here if I find anything worth reporting.

I am having this issue with a device too. Also the left audio input. Can cause a popping noise even when nothing is being sampled, but is more likely to occur during sampling. I tried another audio in cable and another audio in device and still having the problem. Did sample it though and am very happy with the sample.