[lost] alternative (rev2, Solina, Celeste)

OK, the Octatrack is just a sample player here but dealing with 12/8 with the Elektron sequencer is quite hard so I gave up trying…

3 Likes

What’s complicate?
You can program in 16 steps and switch to 3/4 afterwards.

well, I just have to set 12/8 in my DAW and be done with it. 3/4 and 12/8 is not the same but I envy people with good math skills (I’m sure not good at this kind of things!)

You can also set your tracks to 12 steps…

12 steps is not 12/8, the feel is not the same

12 is not 12?!

The feel is up to you, there are many different feels possible on 12/8.

What do you want to achieve?

ternary?

Put a trig every 4 step?

Eventually you can use Elektron Octatrack: Track Trigs/Multiplier to Master Length Calculator and

if you want to complexify your beats.

Still I agree that Octatrack was made for 4/4 heads. Seems like the Deluge has implemented a more clever solution. IMO OT should just not give access to the latest trigs once you reduce the amount of steps. Less pages but much less headache.

PS: 12/8 is not ternary exclusive. In fact, one of its main interest is to be able to combine both ternary and binary feelings, that’s one it’s extensively used in African music.

I really don’t see myself programming ternary and triplets stuff on a 12/16 step sequencer which will def need microtoming (and obviously, combo of different rhythm!) but if you find it simple, go for it (PS: reading your edited version I guess you agree with me to some extent: “dealing with 12/8 with the Elektron sequencer is quite hard” :slight_smile: )

sure, that’s why 12/8 is really cool!

24 steps should be the standard.

2 Likes

finally, somebody’s making sense around here!

1 Like

I take it personally.

Techno heads would be lost.

1 Like

Yeah I know, but I really mean it.
You can always use only the first 16 steps.
And of course every sequencer in the world should have a “step per page” setting.

2 Likes

on the Squarp Hermod(I assume Pyramid and Hapax too), they have a triplet mode for the sequencer which makes it really easy to work with this kind of time signature. I think the Deluge has something like that too. still… a DAW is the fastest for me for such (rare) case.

1 Like