Loss of work

Once again…
Feeling so defeated.

Posting here so someone might potentially shed some light on my situation.

After working through Bank A and continually saving per pattern and syncing to card, I just reloaded my project before continuing on my merry journey. I had played through my set and wanted to revert to the last saved instance.

Once the project reloaded I was left with four patterns and only part1. Two parts and numerous patterns missing.

No idea why this has occurred as i have saved along the way.

Any help greatly appreciated.

All of my recordings/samples for the missing parts still appear to be in the audio pool??

Syncing and saving are not the same thing. IMO, this is one of the most convoluted functions of the OT’s file system. It’s all explained on page 30 of the manual, but for quick reference syncing is a way of ensuring that the de facto “auto save” function has been completed before removing the card or doing an OS upgrade.
To set a point of the project that can be restored to, you need to specifically use the “save” function which can be used for the whole project or for the current bank with the “save current bank” function. I personally never use “sync”, I just use “save” and if you get in the habit of letting autosave or “sync” handle everything, you will lose your work when reloading the project to the last “save” point.

Also to keep in mind is parts need to be specifically saved also or you will lose work when reloading a part that has not been recently saved.

Thanks for the response nrain. Yup, i save parts before changing part, save the project every 15 mins or so and before i shut down sync to card. So am i right in saying that none of this should have happened when using the reload function? Unless there is some user error involved here, i can not have any confidence that this won’t happen again. I just lost a live set and months of work for no apparent reason! Anyone have any ideas as to why this may have occurred. Any Elektron staff reading this, love to hear your thoughts…

These kinds of things are inevitable; it comes with the technology territory. suck it up, and move on…

If you are indeed saving the project and this happens all I can suggest is a problem with the CF card or your project somehow became corrupted. Best contact Elektron support about this.

Also, unfortunate as this is, it is a lesson to be learned that digital media is not trustworthy and regular backups should be made of any important work.

@zfigs I understand these things are inevitable etc etc, the purpose of this post was to possibly glean some information as to why this occurred, so I could potentially avoid this situation in the future.

Elektron recommended a soft reset, but I had already made new saves by that point…

@nrain true. When there is no computer in your setup it is easy to put off backing up your material elsewhere. Lesson learnt…