Looping via $299 Roland Aira module "Scooper"

I overlooked this feature during the original announcement and fanfare, but it appears that the new Roland Aira digital module, “Scooper”, can act as a syncable Looper, with a few mangling tricks as well.

No dry/wet mix (a’la Octatrack crossfader transition), but from what is said between 9:00 to 9:35 in the video, that type of functionality could be designed and programmed in with their included virtual module application.

Sync comes in via 1/8" “sync trigger” input. One could use a single CV output trigger from A4/AK for this, and perhaps a voice output from Analog Rytm. Sync out from Korg gear would also work. I’m wondering if an aux send or control room output from your mixer, through a filter/EQ pedal, and into the sync input would work. Looping is quantized to the sync trigger.

This could be a $299 stereo beat mangler for folks without an Octatrack. As someone who is OT-less, and has nearly all the OT features EXCEPT beat mangling in all my other gear, this interests me very much.

Scooper talk starts at 4:36 … (VIDEO ABOVE)

(sorry I had to put this all in a reply to the title post, this forum and youtube links can’t seem to get along with included text in the same post on my end)

Why? Why?
I had no need for the Aira modules until now…sigh…

Sorry, dude.

That’s fine! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for highlighting this feature.
So many news with Aira that it is easy to miss it.

am i the only one who thinks modular stuff is way overpriced? There’s no power supply or enclosure which is often the most expansive part in any hardware. and still they ask 299? for a pcb, a front plate and 4 knobs?

i understand if a small one man company asks such money if he only produces very limited quantities and puts a lot of development effort into it. but this is roland. i see why so many big companies jump on the modular train now since the margin must be huge.

1 Like

That’s not the case for these modules.

These Roland digital modules do not require a rack case. They can be mounted into a case, if you like, and powered from one, if you like.

However, they have an enclosure built on, can be used as a table top module, and include a power supply. They’re also a 2 in, 2 out 24bit/96khz usb audio interface.

1 Like

I might have to scoop me up a Scooper.

Adam you are an evil man !

With all of the following available as virtual modules it does seem like it would be entirely possible to whip up an inexpensive beat-mangling wet/dry mixer entirely inside that box:

LFO, ADSR, NOISE, SAMPLE & HOLD, RING MOD, FILTER 6dB, FILTER 12dB, TONE, AMP, MIXER, STEREO MIXER, CURVE CONV, GATE DIVIDER, TRIG TO CV DELAY TIME, MIDI CLOCK TO GATE

The question I haven’t yet found a solid answer to is whether any of the virtual modules can be CV controlled, or are they just patch-and-forget?

If they can actually be CV controlled, that would make this little box pretty powerful.

I’m certainly curious to see how it sounds on more beat-oriented material.

For syncing the Scooper’s pulse sync input to A4 or Rytm, this (plus a standard male to male midi cable) may work, in fact I am hoping it does.

http://www.ctrl-mod.com/product-p/expert-sleepers-dj-1000.htm

On the fence between KP3+ and Scooper for looping duties. I like the Scooper’s smaller size and programability. So long as the sync works well and long loop times without drift or fuss are achievable, I’m leaning toward the Scooper.

Hi,

Did one of you get this working?
I own a Scooper since yesterday. It’s pretty good to sync by hand but on stage a synced solution would be way better.

any further report on this?

Not that great.
The looping isn’t quantized, and clocking externally is neither solid nor (for my purposes) worth sacrificing a CV trigger output.

I went with a Pigtronix Infinity used for about the same price as a new Scooper, and am very happy with it.

Hi,

just to complete this here.
I already used two ways of syncing the Scooper:

Solution 1:

Midi clock -> Analog four -> CV output -> set a trigger on the trig 1 of a bar for a 1 bar loop
Advantage: sync and transport all in one box
Disadvantage: HUGE box “just for a sync”

Solution 2:

Midi Clock -> Doepfer MSY2 -> Korg SQ1 -> Suprise: set a trigger on step 1 for a 1 bar loop
Advantage: smaller than the A4 Solution.
Disadvantage: No Transport. just sync. you need to press start at the SQ1 Sequencer with a good timing

I picked one of these Scoopers up during the huge sale right now.

Planning on using all 4 of my AK’s CV outs with it. Capturing a drum loop from the first pattern of a track and then looping and slicing it for the rest of the song so as to free up my voices.

Sounds like this is doable eh?

I couldn’t resist getting all 4 AIRA EFX on sale.

So far just been noodling using them with Reaktor and the A4 in a quasi modular fashion via USB and patch cables. The customiser is great for enhancing their function using 30 available modules internally, plus they internally route and input and output audio, cv and midi.

Very handy & cheap audio + cv interface plus make a great modulate-able OTO Biscuit impersonator too.

1 Like

Hi there,

Does any of you Elektronauts knows if the Scooper has true bypass or not? I mean, when you’re not manipulating a recorded loop, is the signal also going through the AD-DA converters or is it going around the digital stuff and coming out analogue clean?

I am planning to connect it at the end of my chain, which is mostly comprised of analogue gear, but I don’t like the idea of making all that analogue sweetness go through a digital system all the time.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Just purchased one, I think these things are hidden gems.hard to find now at the super cheap price. plus all those unique roland sounding oscillators and filters…

hard not to want more