Looping Pads/Drones

Yeah, I guess the idea would be to sample pads from an external keyboard and twist them until their mother doesn’t recognize them :smiley:
Usually I use the Midi part of OT to do this and bring plocks to Volcas and such tiny synths…

Here’s a question. Let’s say I take a section of the pad that’s full volume. Can I set the start and loop start to a zero crossing where it’s full volume, then the end at a zero crossing where it’s full volume, and then just use the envelope and trigless trigs to make it behave as though it was a pad (with an attack and a release?)

1 Like

I think you can. Note that Amp envelope is uncommon as decay/sustain has been changed for “hold”.

I think for these purposes hold is fine since all I want to do is play an attack, have a hold, and then release when i stop (ie breakdowns or whatever)

I am not convinced you will get what you want going forward … if sequencing on the fly

The Attack phase is distinct in time from the hold phase … the hold phase is expressed in time units and if the hold phase is set long enough you can play the ‘synth’ in chromatic mode, live, such that it will gate when you trig it and then go into the release phase (let’s say for a looping single cycle)

Now, if you search the forum, you’ll see that there are issues with recording the note off for audio tracks, so even though you can play short and long gates in chromatic mode, you cannot record the length, instead you only capture the note on and the playback is entirely dictated by the Hold length

I’m still a bit perplexed by this, it normally helps when you can understand why something may be a certain way … it seems there were similar issues for MIDI tracks originally but this was addressed

All the threads I found opened the door but there didn’t seem to be any definitive commentary nailing the thinking behind this … if anyone recalls a good thread please link it, maybe even from Elektron-Users or just chip in with the best way to rationalise this behaviour

When not in slice mode and Len is enabled as Time on the Playback Page the values can set the % of the sample to be played back, the Amp envelope is always superimposed over this irrespective if the sample ends early or late relative to it

FWIW the % for Len when not in slice mode is
128 = 100% or All
64 = 50% or Half
32 = 25% or quarter
16 = eighth
and so on

if you are talking about live triggering - you cannot configure much there, so that wont be your solution

but triggering with steps from the sequencer is a different story… you can p-lock the sample start, so playback begins at whatever point in the sample you want… if you p-lock each trigger, you can easily make a sample loop without gaps, clicks, pops, whatever

im not exactly clear on the end-result you are looking for - could you explain that a bit more in the most simple terms possible? try not to reference something else, just describe the end goal - i dont use Kontakt much so I am not super familiar with “how kontakt does it”

1 Like

The OP can clarify this, but I understood he was after a flexible three phase sample

An initial phase characterised by the attack transients etc that is followed by a looping ‘constant’ phase and then this becomes a release phase once the note is lifted

There is no scope to define a post-loop phase to the sample, but there is the scope to definition the initial once only ‘attack’ portion

The problem as I see it, is that the looping phase can be elegantly faded out using the Amp env, but that you cannot ‘play in’ the sustain portion manually (you can audition it in chromatic mode, but once recorded the ‘note offs’ are ignored) … the Amp env does not behave as a traditional ADSR and nor does it behave in the way that the the AHD can on the AR (which can tie the played note length to the Hold phase when set to auto)

So you have to tinker a lot with locks to capture a performance with varying note lengths

I’m sure there are lots of devices which permit the definition of the looping phase to be in the middle of a sample such that the head and tail can be heard … but there’s no tail phase for the OT

That’s something I hadn’t thought of. Slice the sample, make the attack and release individual slices, and the middle a looping slice, and then just trig and plock to get the effect I need.

2 Likes

(expensive) Use 2 tracks with the same sample both being for example a bit less than double the length of the sample -> like 36 step sample 2x 64step tracks one triggering the sample at step 1 the other at step 33 and set the attack as written above by the others.

(not what u want) use a single cycle waveform with the desired amp settings set on the octa