Looping live instruments

Brilliant - It’s the one I originally had my eye on.
But then saw all the extra bits that come on the Disaster Area pedals and got distracted for a bit. Just wish these bad boys were a little cheaper :wink:

Looks like your upload isn’t available anymore - got anything else to show what it sounds like with that sort of setup? I’m considering moving from a Pigtronix Infinity to an OT for my electric cello

Guitar straight in OT, OT FX only so of course guitar sound can be better. No samples.

OT can be more than a looper, it can mangle incoming audio with fx and sample manipulation (pitch / reverse / start / length / retrig…) with its sequencer.
You can create bass, drums, synths just from incoming audio.

Guitar thru Analog Heat > OT, no samples.

Same patch, faster tempo.

3 Likes

Answering you here, it a complicated subject.
I have to try again, IIRC I could do it with 2 recorders.

Without crossfade, a solution is to stop recording during overdub.

Did you try with Pickups?

Seems possible with Flex, I have to try again to describe the setup.

Would you describe what do you want to loop, how long, etc? A defined length would be ok?

1 Like

@ghostbuddy I could record nice loops with Pickups and switch to Flex flawlessly. Best of both words.

2 Likes

I’ll have to look into pickup machines, couldn’t get smooth loops with flex machines. There was always either pops or fade outs & fade ins that were noticeable.

I tried Flex Overdub without inputs, it was clicky! As I told there is a possible crossfade workaround with 2 tracks but boring to setup.

With Pickups I could record seemless loops (defined length) and swap to Flex like a charm, with mangling possibilities.

1 Like

Well shit, that sounds great! Did you use any special settings for the pickup machines?

Nothing particular.
I used a defined length, to avoid tempo change.
Start loop with REC1(AB), stop overdub with REC2(CD) after a cycle minimum.

The only thing is to avoid to start or stop recording while playing, causing abrupt audio cut.

You can eventually use minimum FIN / FOUT.

You can also use QREC to quantize. You can set Flex before recording, ready to mangle!

3 Likes