Loopers

I’ve read that EHX 1440 has been updated a few months ago, apparently improving the ext sync stability:

Anyone here owns this one? would like to hear some experiences with it

1 Like

I have it and it’s great. I run MIDI sync from a Keystep 37 through my Model:Samples and Monologue to the EHX 1440, and it’s rock solid.

3 Likes

For those with an RC-505 mk2, what is the quality like of the FX?
Also, I heard about sync problems with the mk1, how is the mk2 for this?

From what I understood, a few more fx for MKII, same quality, but a editable sequencer for some fx, which can be great !

No problem as master, but if slaved, the main problem is timestretch fluctuations. If you send only clock messages, it can be acceptable (for me).

I bought an RC500, which seems to have things in common RC505 MKII / RC600, same generation.

Seems to have less timestretch fluctuations.

There could have been a workaround disabling TEMPO SYNC, but it is worse : some tracks stop to play (tested on RC505 MKI and RC500).

Anybody would test slave with TEMPO SYNC off with RC505 MKII / RC600 ?
@Wolf-Rami ?

There should be a user setting memory you can recall on any memory.

Tip with Syntakt or any Elektron sending CCs and having trig conditions : I could sync my HX STOMP looper fx block, which has no clock sync :

Start / Stop an external looper recording with perfect timing, using a midi track :

• trig 1 (“Stop” CC message) : +1 microtiming, trig condition PRE
  • trig 2 (“Start” CC message) : -23 microtiming, trig condition 1ST

At first pass, trig 2 (1ST) is sent, and trig 1 (PRE) is sent at 2nd pass, as previous trig condition is true (1ST).

Their microtiming position is exactly the same. Both are played just once.

I don’t know if this can be used for other stuff, but that way my HX STOMP looper fx can be perfectly sync to the Syntakt.
(this looper fx can’t be sync with clock / transport).

1 Like

Hey guys, small question : is it possible to offset loops or trim them once they are recorded in the 505 ? Thx !

Not to my knowledge. AFAIK the only thing you can do is to change tempo. For instance is you set a 120 bpm recording to 240 bpm, it is played twice faster.

In fact I just found that you can offset at least by using the beatshift FX. From 32th to a whole bar ! That’s pretty cool !

Are you sure you can use it as an offset ? IIRC it’s a repetitive/cyclic shift fx.
If it suits you better, tant mieux !

It seems it just shifts your loop : https://youtu.be/HLwBlvdvNSQ?t=681

Dunno what you mean by cyclic/repetitive. To me I have the impression it permits to offset my loop from 32th to 1 bar. Maybe I’m mistaking ?

1 Like

Apparently, yes. I thought the shift was only for specific beats, following a pattern, like for the scatter fx.

Rc 505 mk2 owners:

I see that as of version 1.10, the following new feature was added:

• Input Thru—An assignable Input Thru function has been added to quickly mute or unmute the input signal while performing.

Could someone explain what this is? I can’t see it in the manual…

I see it as a way to mute / unmute input to line out routing (there is a menu option for this in the MKI). Not sure they updated the manual…

1 Like

Yes. I was hoping someone might have tried it. Being able to record a loop and then instantly mute the input would be very handy.

2 Likes

Roland recycles A LOT, so I suspect it’s the same functionality as the “external source” switch on their SP samplers: i.e. a simple through mute for anything plugged into the audio inputs…

Cheers!

1 Like

For those that play techno and use a looper, could you explain your workflow and/or share any videos?

1 Like

These two are pretty good examples/advocates for a looper in techno (Surgeon has an octatrack but uses it effectively as a looper). I really like the technique of using a synced looper to capture parts that you can mix in and out as required and slowly evolve the pattern, I think it works great for improvised techno sets. Depending on your use case the RC505 (esp the mark 2) is great for that and has loads of control and fx etc.

I also really enjoyed the ditto x4 and might get another. It is a really cool looper with 2 separate tracks, midi sync and ability to set a the ‘decay’ which allows loops to fade out over time so you can keep the pattern evolving. If you get the balance right you can get it so the pattern is gradually evolving and changing every 16 bars but only very subtly. Perfect for techno!

7 Likes

I’ve considered a lot of hardware solutions for this but decided to stick to Ableton + launch control XL. I have 3 channels (syntakt, digitakt, micromonsta2) and 3 loopers for each of these.

Then I use this max for live device to loop the audio. The benefit of this device compared to the ableton looper is that you can use the complex time stretch algorithm (whereas the ableton looper always uses the pitch shift algorithm). This means that your looped audio keeps its pitch when changing the tempo (which I often do during a transition).

This setup allows for easy DJ style transitioning between tracks. + You can add whatever FX racks in Ableton and use it as an instant mastering chain as well.

6 Likes

In the RC505, is it only possible to save what you record into one of the 99 ‘memory’ slots? I remember Blawan mentioning that he had been saving his loops for years, but that seems unlikely based on only 99 memory slots.