Loopers

Edit : 96 patterns for MS, so 6 banks indeed…
6x16 patterns.

1 Like

Probaply me too…and from DT it’s not far to a second hand Rytm -> make my head explode^^Aarrghh!

I’ll sample some christmas preparation noises and the snoring cat with my OT now and stop thinking about all that stuff here. :elot: :heart: :cb:

1 Like

I planned to make some looping tests with OT and RC505 this afternoon…:wink:

I sold it in order to simplify my workflow with DT. Maybe I’ll go back to it later…

1 Like

I’ve found the 6x16 patterns to be more than enough for long live performances. Thanks to fills, and a very knobby and fast interface, pushing a single pattern very far in a composition is much easier than on the other non-Model Elektrons.
In fact, with OT next to it, live looping and slicing it to make interesting effected layers, just about all of my tunes on MS are in one pattern.
Of course, that’s techno, and other styles may require more, but if you had to use 2 patterns, that would be 48 tunes in a project.
Or 4 patterns per tune would be 24 tunes in a project, which is still loads of tunes.

The lack of a sample slot list to manage also makes it more compatible with working out of a large project. For example, on Digitakt, you have 64MB ram and only 128 slots to work from, and using chains on DT is far more cumbersome than OT,Rytm,MS chains.
You’re more likely to run out of unique samples to use in those 8 DT banks far sooner than you would 6 banks on MS.

And that’s because MS gives you 576 slots for samples. 96 patterns x 6 sample tracks.
Which is a lot more flexibility for using 64MB ram in a project vs 128 slots and the same 64MB ram on the Digitakt.

I much prefer having 4.5x more sample slots (MS) at the cost of 2 banks, personally. Especially when creative use of a looper like OT takes a pattern to interesting places.
YMMV

2 Likes

+1

1 Like

My approach is sort of the opposite: I do most sequencing on a Digitakt, while the OT serves as a mixer / fx (DT uses a THRU machine + a NEI machine on tracks 1 & 2); I have a buffer for transition looping on track 4 (since it’s the closest to the YES button, so I can press T4+YES single-handedly to activate a one-shot trigger to start recording the loop).
Tracks 5, 6 and 7 are dedicated to playing stereo loops (although I’m trying to keep that to a minimum - 1 or 2 loops, T5 y T6 ideally).
I think that for drum machine sequencing purposes, the Digitakt sounds/feels great, specially once you build muscle memory for some of the more jam/improvisation-oriented features (control+all, reload a specific sound/page, delay and reverb parameters, pattern mutes, etc).
Also, I feel like the envelopes and the filter are much more musical and responsive than those on the OT.
Haven’t used a Model:Samples but at least from the videos I’ve seen online, I do feel like it sounds weaker than a DT. I know it’s a lot cheaper as well so…

As I’ve mentioned in another thread, I’m getting more and more comfortable with my DT+OT setup. I was using a FaderFox UC4 as well, to have quick access to some parameters… but I’m getting used to not using it, plus it also forces me to focus on less things, and make track less busy/complicated.

4 Likes

Smart! I’d do the same if I didn’t already have a lot of Parts that have Tracks 4 occupied as a neighbor FX track.
Might have to rearrange, even if it does take a couple days.

2 Likes

I also use T4 for Track + MIDI button (SRC3 recording on MKI). Recording main with QREC, which can behave as a one shot rec trig.

1 Like

There is another option (since you are already considering a not so cheap Rytm):

A second OT (no additional learning curve / most versatile device).

4 Likes

Only if you need to filter notes… do you use the midi tracks of the OT with other gear? Otherwise there aren’t any notes to filter out if you configure the midi setting right…

I’m in the same boat here…

This is my solution for now, as I have another OT from another setup, but I would prefer something small and simple as well, since this will be the one and only duty for the device…

1 Like

Aeros? RC500? Pigtronix Infinity?

these would need an extra mixer, which doesn’t make it smaller than the OT

Which one wouldn’t then?

none that I know of. So until this changes, OT it is :slight_smile:

edit: I think I was saying this in the light of possibly another thread, where the question was using a looper as transition looper.

If you already have an OT, what about a transition with the crossfader > DIR (looper)

Concerning mixer, I bought a 1U rack Samson SM10 I can put under OT or RC505, or DN+DT (excactly the same width). Very very small companion mixer for OT

1 Like

Sure. OT is sequencing two synths.
I could use the RC-202 standalone, though.

Good point. I’ve thought about a dual Octa setup before and I should really consider doing that.
Thing is, I really like the Rytm. I had one here for some time and I really dig it.
Not sure if I’d want to take a Rytm on stage with me, though…
I learnt to appreciate a simple setup (=as simple as possible) for live gigs pretty fast^^ and there is something very appealing about that simple knobby interface on the Model:Samples. You can see it in a lot of videos, fingers flying across buttons and knobs…it really shows that the Model line makes a lot of sense from that perspective.

Anyways, like always I’ll just have to try an M:S or RC-202 myself and see how I like it.

1 Like

Sure! :content:

1 Like

Ok, instead of going to work (it’s raining and I don’t feel working today)
I made the test with the 505 and can confirm that it fluctuates at start.

I first threw some midi notes at it, and it fluctuated indeed. But when I wanted to test again, for trying to keep throwing midi notes (first time I just played a 15 note chord with one hand at transport start), I noticed that is was fluctuating even without midi notes!

so the same perfectly recorded saw that I recorded in the 505 yesterday, and played back flawlessly yesterday, was all choppy and fluctuating today!
So it doesn’t only depend on midi note, but also on the 505’s mood. maybe it is because it’s raining today…

so, just for the record. here is exactly the same I did last time, only the 505 decided different today

looks like this:

and close up of a fluctuation looks like this: (for those interested…)

I don’t know how this fluctuation would sound on more musical sounds than a saw wave. but I never really noticed this before.

4 Likes

Thanks for confirming!

Nothing more musical than a saw. Especially chainsaws! :loopy:

4 Likes

Forgive me, but I have questions!
How is it?

The Pigtronix Infinity did a bad thing with line level inputs where the loop played back with a noticeable lack of detail in the high frequencies. In most live environments it wasn’t noticeable, but I could hear it in the live recordings.
Is the 1440 fairly transparent when comparing the stereo line level input, to its recorded loop? Any audio degradation at all?

Is the MIDI clock sync solid?
How are the knobs? Lost of resistance, or easy to quickly turn the level knob down to quickly fade out the loop?

I’m currently shopping for a good deal on a 2nd OT MK1, which I will dedicate to live looping/slicing, FX, and mixing of external inputs, so that my main OT can fully harness all 8 tracks for samples.
However, that hunt might take a while. In the meantime, I’m seeing these 1440s for $168-ish b-stock, and combined with my Mackie Mix8, I could at least use it for looping transitions and mixing between the 1440 loop and OT output, using the CR out on the Mix8 to send stereo to the 1440 to record the loop. That is, if it sounds good and holds stable MIDI sync…

3 Likes