Looper pedal with pre set length and midi synced?

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a looper pedal with special features, I don’t know if it exists.

I am looking for a looper pedal with midi sync where you could pre set the loop length.
So the pedal would receive a bpm and would have a defined loop length (let’s say one bar) so that you would just have to push a button once to use it.
The button would record for one bar and then loop automatically.
I looked a lots of pedal but I don’t think it exist.
Do you have any ideas ?

The best alternative would be a delay pedal with an big delay time (several seconds) I guess.
I was thinking about the Strymon Timeline.

thanks,

I guess you’d need a sequencer for that.

An OT with a midi pedal would do it although it might be overkill if it is just to save pushing a button a second time.

I have always wanted a looper that would do this (same functionality as MPC). I still can’t believe Ableton can’t do this easier without having to set up a bunch of stuff). The concept seems so simple, I’m surprised no one has done a simple pedal like this yet. Maybe we should start a new pedal company.

2 Likes

Eventide H9 looper can do that I think. Edit, checked manual, yes it can. It’s been a while since I’ve used my H9 as looper, so wasn’t 100% sure. Midi clock sync was solid for me.

H9 looper sums stereo to mono, though.

1 Like

We could call the pedal Simple. Or MPedalC

Here’s what I’ve come across in my hours of research.
Electro Harmonix 45000 and 95000 are both awesome options, but major negative is that your first loop dictates how long all the other loops will be.

Boss RC505
Not a pedal, but insanely popular especially with the beat box community, but perhaps it’s little too much? Also the housing feels a bit…eh.

Pigtronix Infinity
Great little looper pedal offering a lot of under the hood options. A true guitarist looper pedal. Only two channels though.

Boomerang Looper
Has a cult like, fanatical following. Be warned that they will hunt you down if you say anything negative about this massive unit of a looper. Lots of options, and a solid performer, but it’s pretty big.

Singular Sounds Aero Looper
This looks to be the Cadillac of looper pedals. No doubt you’ve seen it mentioned or already watched loopop’s video. Pricey.

Beebo/Digit
A new firmware has been released that includes a beta version of their looper. Sounds ambitious, and along with all the other offerings on hand, can no doubt get cray cray. Downside may be that it’s not a “dedicated” looper pedal, and you’ll have to tinker with it.

Those were the ones that I especially focused on, and which offer your midi requirement and can do the pre-set length thing.

1 Like

I just want to clarify -

Today - with my blooper synched to the digitakt clock, I could:

1. start the clock,
  2. record an empty loop to the “master loop length” I want, in time with the clock
  3. as desired record new loops at master loop length into the blooper that’s now going to be synched to the clock

you’re looking for a device that bypasses step 2?

I know I could catch some heat here - but if I follow you correctly - this is one area where the blackbox shines. What could be a dealbreaker for you, though is that you cannot do this hands-free…

1 Like

I think you should see a Boomerang with your own eyes. One of the reason i bought it was the small footprint regarding all the features inside it.
Way smaller than a RC505 for instance.

I was also thinking about something more like the Black Box for the OP question.

Actually with any looper you could record an empty loop then overdub. That way you’ll set your length then since you are passing over and over it you don’t need to press a button.
In any case you need a way to set the first length, in seconds, steps or live.

I think Looper’s delight got a practical list of the different offers and features about the main loopers on the market.

1 Like

I rest my case.

1 Like

I’ve done this with my Line 6 HX Stomp and Digitakt, but in a simpler way… I sent CC trigs from the DT to HX telling it to start and stop recording in the looper. The HX didn’t really need to know the external bpm, just when to record and stop.

1 Like

Wow lots of very interesting answers !

That’s nice, although I really need stereo.

Thanks a lot ! The pigtronix seems to do it indeed, I have to watch some demo video to see if you could record/repeat in one push.

I didn’t know this website, I going to check it out. Also because I’ve never used a looper pedal before I didn’t know about this empty loop thing. I have to think more deeply about it.

Oh very nice, I haven’t thought about sending cc to a looper pedal,
I going to check again the pedals with midi cc.
Not sure I need something as complete as Line 6 though.

//////
Perhaps I should explain in what context I am looking for this kind of looper.
I am using a Machinedrum + Digitone + Polyend Tracker for live performances.
The tracker send the master clock to the rest and sometimes I need to switch projects with the Tracker, it takes around 5 seconds.
Of course during this 5 seconds all midi data sent from the tracker are stopped (transport, notes, cc).
So I need a delay pedal or a looper that can repeat seamlessly the last bar of project A before I continue with project B.
Hence it has to do stereo, I’ll use 2 aux send from my mixing table.
Actually midi in is not very important as long it has at least tap tempo I think.

Not the answer you’ll want to hear, but you are describing the Octatrack here. :sunglasses:
It would replace the Polyend and mean you don’t need a looper at all.

1 Like

Haha,
Well I don’t know if I’m ready to dive in the Octatrack world,
it seems a bit too complex with a steep learning curve.
I think I prefer to have a small basic stereo looper with no midi and a classic record/overdub system (if I don’t find what I’m looking for) than getting an octatrak.
Maybe it’s one more box but at the end but I think it’s a bit simpler in a way.

I was looking for a looper like 8 years ago and i’m a bit surprised to see the names coming back. Not much evolution it seems (except maybe something like GlouGlou Loupé and the Aero).

Indeed the OT can do all of this but it definitely doesn’t have the simplicity and immediacy of a traditional hardware looper.

As simple as it is, you need to start by something and most of loopers will behave with a master loop so the other loops can be equal or multiples/divisions of that one, unless you do ambient music and some loopers allow free playing mode (loops are not based on each other tempos or lengths).

At that time i can’t remember why i discarded the Pigtronix and went for the Boomerang. Never regretted it though but there are some general features you need to choose to have or not to clear your decision:

• do you need a pedal format? Instrumentists like guitarists need this.
  • tap tempo or midi sync? For me midi sync is not questionable unless you are a computer, the loops will slowly drift out of sync after some minutes.
  • do you need to save loops? The Boomerang for instance can’t save loops, it is very live oriented.
  • do you need FX coming with the looper?
  • is footprint important for you?
  • do you like screens? Aeros or newer units work with screens which can be or not an advantage (drawing more power, screenlight in daytime, veryyyy hard to use with toes…)
  • stereo seems to be already on your list but not all are as some sum up the signal in mono
  • number of tracks?
  • ease of use live: is it easy or not to undo, etc.
  • length and quality of recordings: can go from some seconds to much more.
  • price range

Hope that can help you clearing the path :wink:

Edit: TBH i am not sure you need a proper looper though if it is just to make a transition. I went for the Hologram Microcosm which has an integrated looper in it even if it is more sold as an FX unit.
It does perfectly the job: stereo, midi sync, CC commands, looper and nice fx with saving presets. Then if you go for this kind of unit it’s all about the kind of FX you’ll look for matching your sound which is a bit more exciting than a traditional looper if you are not into overdub and buildings tracks out of looping.

1 Like

Actually i got interesting into something like the Microcosm at first because the OT needs some good seconds to change project :wink:

Who watches The Watchmen?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I hear ya, I tend to think of the OT as a sampling mixer that wouldn’t be changing projects with other devices…

While on this topic with the OP, why wouldn’t you make your 1hr set in one project and save the hassle??
8x16 patterns is a lot of space to not have to swap projects.

• No, I’m not a guitarist
  • Midi sync will be much easier yes
  • I don’t think I need to save loops.
  • Not necessarily but it’s a nice bonus
  • You’re talking about the size of the pedal ? It’s not really a problem unless the pedal is really big like the Line 6 hx.
  • Well it’s better if the pedal doesn’t have a screen, but I can deal with something like the Strymon Timeline’s screen, something simple.
  • One is enough for me.
  • The simpler the better I would say of course !
  • I need something with very good quality for the transition to be seamless between my machines and the pedal playing the same thing.
    About the duration I don’t need much, I would say 10 seconds max, maybe less.
  • About the price range, I think around 400/500 euros max for a new one.

I think it does, thanks a lot !

That’s what I think to, it doesn’t have to be a looper pedal. That’s why I also thought about the Strymon Timeline. Yes maybe the Hologram could do it too ! I have to check it out.

I must say you might be right in not wanting the OT. I love my OT, but it takes some setting up and headspace to work it live. I love my OT and it works fine for recording loops live, but sometimes I fantasize of having a simpler looper just for the ease of it.

I don’t know exactly all it’s specifics, but I’d urge you to have a good look and try at the Blackbox. It’s so damn easy and fast with making quantized bar loops. I had it in a stint of modular, and loved it for that. Have a good look at it.

2 Likes

I know the Blackbox but I think it would be an overkill for what I’m looking for.
I just need to play one loop and I need midi in and out with stereo in and out.
For now I am looking at the Microcosm and the Boss RC5.
About the Microcosm, I am wondering if it keeps the last tempo sent when it doesn’t receive midi anymore ? I don’t think it does.

Perhaps it’s something you know @Blasted_pingin ?

2 Likes

From what you’re saying, indeed looking at an FX pedal like Microcosm or Blooper would suit your needs better.

Personnaly i have a grief against all the RC serie: the sound is not very good in quality and even for a transition, it could be weird from an OT to a RC. Plus the simple fact they lied about the implementation of MIDI in the RC300 make me wanna boycott them (the MIDI plug was there but not the bit of code needed…).

Good question i’ll check that whenever i have a bit of time and give a feedback here.

1 Like