Loopable chords

Hi there,

So while discovering the magic packed within the digitakt (my first Elektron gear), I found myself interested in the idea of being able to play chords on one of the track, without looping a random chord sample (and getting grain, which i like most of the time, but still), or resampling multiple tracks. Quite like a single cycle waveform. Quite like what the poster of that topic did. Those were absolutely fine and what i am about to share is much more archaic and less complete really… but i was interested in the process of making those.

So i created perfectly loopable “single cycle” chords, except they are all 1 second long. It is quite an heresy to call them single cycle actually. The idea was to avoid any click and to be left with pure waveform chords. So i rounded the frequencies so that each of those composing the chord would reach the end of its individual cycle by 1 second. Within that second, lots of 0-crossing points are to be found, but the waveform evolves between each of them. I reckoned it would be purer if i could loop the entire evolution… and it works.

I attached a text file in which i explain the process and what the chords are. In short, 47 chords in sine, sawtooth or square waveforms, root C4.

Much heavier files, much less variations, but a different approach than lucianon’s. Hope it has an interest of its own.

(Pardon my poor english, i’m french)

11 Likes

welcome

yes a different approach, but an approach (perhaps similar) that sprung to my mind (not for DT)

use an algorithm to find a finite but as small as possible set of complete waves per each chord note, so they all have integer multiples of their respective wave cycles (which can possibly also move over time to avoid being too static), to keep this manageable the idea would be to find a frequency as close to ideal for the non root parts of the chord, so to achieve the zero crossing points there may be a bit of subtle freq manipulation of the notes - this becomes easier when the samples are allowed to be longer

the advantage of making them all exactly the same length is that they can be chained and would work well on the AR

Cool, I’ll try your samples, thanks for sharing!

thank you

Thanks so much for sharing this, sounds like a neat evolution of the chord single cycles, can’t wait to try 'em!

Thank you for your replies. Not too sure about calling this an evolution, but i’m glad if some of you can find it useful :slight_smile: