Loop slice jump (pre buying question)

Tonight :wink:

The answer to your original question is yes. You can play from any slice and have the sample loop from beginning.

edit: you canā€™t trigger slices with MIDI notes though, see the recent thread on this. But you can trigger them from the OT buttons.

You can trigger slices with midi notes. You have to send a Cc48 before note. See the recent thread on this. :wink:
If you want to record Slices numbers, you have to send a Cc17 too.

1 Like

In essence it doesnā€™t really matter if you can do this or not. You can as mentioned above. butā€¦ The chances of you using tje OT how you think youā€™re gonna use it after youā€™ve learned how to play itā€¦ Are slim indeed.
My current OT flow is way way beyond the scope of what I thought I was going to do with it before I purchased it.

Someone correct me if Iā€™m wrong but one can only have one loop point per sample. Therefore, if youā€™re ā€œplayingā€ slices (assuming a sample/s with multiple slice points), it will play the slice from beginning to end, regardless of loop point.

Ok then what about individual samples? No. You cannot do this. Everytime I tried putting the start in the middle of a sample and putting the loop closer to the beginning it would set the start at the same position.

Trying to think of a solutionā€¦so lets say your sample has two slicesā€¦maybe a (custom) LFO assigned to slice? Or Plocks? In your example why not just have slices at the 2nd BD and 3rd snare from which you can play and then hit a slice at the beginning when you want it to loop? Or arm a one-shot trig when the sequence loops around so that it plays from the beginning of the loop or or orā€¦:anger_right: Brain down. Too much OT. Good luck!!

My experience is you can do it with START but not with SLICE.

So with the sample split into 4 slices, trigged to start on slice3 will keep looping back to slice 3, NOT slice 1 (AKA the start of the sample). You can adjust how much gets looped with the LENGTH parameter, but canā€™t get it to loop to before the slice you started on.

However, with slices switched OFF you can use START set to 96 (which is equivalent to slice3 in a 4 slice slot). Then it WILL loop back to start after playing the last quarter of the sample.

1 Like

My post was incorrect. I just tried and the loop start will be at the slice you played, not at the start of sample.

Turning slice off on the playback setup page but using trig mode ā€œslicesā€ you can kinda get around this but not very elegantly.

2 Likes

nice! If you stick to trig1 button, then the page button gives you slices 1-4, but with the advantage that it loops back to start of sample

1 Like

Okay. Thanks for checking, explaining and clarifying everybody!

1 Like

Sorry I couldnā€™t check, I still canā€™t go home tonight.
2 days without OT and my new A4. :tired_face:
I need 2 months holidays for that. :sunny:

So I finally got something captured in Ableton to explain what Iā€™m actually talking about. Youtube clip is here:
https://youtu.be/eZ2IO7T1hkM
1.) I play the loop without doing anything for demonstration
2.) shows the sliced loop played with the slices continuing forward and loop back to loop-start (not slice start) if needed (the feature Iā€™m asking about).
3.) shows how Iā€™d have to do it, if there is no option to auto play-thru and loop back to sample start (instead of slice start).
Below is also a screenshot showing how this reduces the amount of keys/locks while producing the exact same result - which makes jamming / modifying things live much much easier (just move up the long note by four units and you have it play in the one bar later). Another nice side effect is, that a higher slice amount (16 instead of 8) doesnā€™t add complexity, when triggering (in Ableton it would just have more space between the ā€˜linesā€™).

Hope this makes sense now.

Iā€™m not sure exactly what you are talking about, I donā€™t really see anywhere in that example where the loop jumps back to the start of the sample (without being retriggered)ā€¦ but.ā€¦
I just sampled the audio from your youtube video and recreated your example (I think!) on the OT in about 3 minutes. The hardest part was counting what line/slice # was being triggered in your pattern.
The slice length parameter will be your friend for this type of thing. It can be P-Locked or controlled by scenes too.

Oh! Wow! That was a quick impressive extensive reply! Thanks @musicmagus - I guess Iā€™ll get an OT for Christmasā€¦
And yes - I just realized that none of those notes would have played across the end of the sample. In case C2 had been the last slice: would there have been a way to loop back to the first one slice?

Aha, I get what you are talking about now!
Hopefully this video will make clear what happensā€¦

EDIT:: For clarity and in case the video disappears someday! :slight_smile:
In the video I am hitting slice 13 14 15 and 16 with a playback length of 4 and loop set to on.
hitting slice 13 will play slices 13 14 15 16 > 13 14 15 16ā€¦ etc
hitting slice 14 will play slices 14 15 16 > 14 15 16ā€¦ etc
hitting slice 15 will play slices 15 16 > 15 16ā€¦ etc
hitting slice 16 will play slice 16 > 16 ā€¦ etc

So if I get it right, it would play until end of loop and then jump back to start of slice - right?
(Thanks for the quick reply again!)

You got it rightā€¦ mostly. It will play for the length of slices on the playback pageā€¦ in this case 4 slices goes to the end of the sample.
No problem.
Enjoy your octatrack when you get it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The answer seems easier to understand than the question ! :grin:

Another idea is to use the freeze delay repeater thingy. It will give you a similar effect to your video.

not sure if this ever got made clear - you CAN loop back to sample start, rather than slice start, but it requires a different approach (Slices OFF in playback setup, Slices ON in Trig Mode) - Itā€™s a combination of mine and JSZā€™s responses above.

I have been revisiting the method today, for other purposes - see Preview the loop point/end of long sample in a hurry

So, did you buy an OT?!

1 Like