Looking to buy a new hardware sequencer

That’s why I was considering pairing the Squid with the MPC.

I’ve seen perform at Noisebug last year with Jenk!

1 Like

Oh no way! You were there?! Wait, have we met in person??

1 Like

Yea! I was visiting my friend in SD and we went to check out that event. I really enjoyed your performance not to mention you’re a super kool dude!!! I liked how You had the drum machine facing the crowd!

1 Like

It was a quick chat. I also got to speak with Jenk and he kind of slyly mentioned something like the Digikeys was on it way. :joy:

Quite easy, because there is a parameter for each note, just for this purpose. It’s called “note-offset” and is available in step mode.

1 Like

Can you share anything of what they adding? Pattern chaining seems like a must have, it’d be cool if it had something like rytm perf/scene modes controllable via the pads.

One thing I’d really like is portamento on pitch cv out, I see it has a CV slide button, can it do that?

Feels like there is wasted space on the left, like how often do people tweak swing for it be so prominent? Wish it had a few more knobs for CC controls or an assignable cross fader.

I wouldn’t suggest it being your first build but it’s really not too difficult. If you have some experience with soldering and can follow diagrams and instructions you should be good. It’s all through hole stuff so no SMD soldering. I’m probably a bad person to ask though since I went to school for electronics.

I sourced all my own parts and designed my own case (making it harder). Now there is a nice kit you can buy with all of the essential parts. They also give you an order list for the remaining parts. So you basically load the list on mouser or whatever to order the remaining parts. Very simple.

Just make sure you put the parts in the correct way.

If you decide to build one I can answer any questions you might have.

I might even possibly consider building one for someone in exchange for a partial kit (case or something) and definitely for buy two get one built for you lol

4 Likes

I have a decent amount of soldering experience. I was just trying to get an idea about the amount of commitment it will take to finish that project. I looked up the kit and seems like a good deal.

1 Like

Expect a week with research and software setup depending on how much time you can dedicate to it. You could probably get it done in a couple of days if you have everything lined up and ready to go.

2 Likes

Following closely because im looking for DAWless sett up.

Anyone have anything negative to share re the AKAI mpc live? I already have a DT plocking 8 synths but need a brain for more complex automations and melodic chord progressions of any pollys…and would like some cc automation lanes for the scenes and performance of the ARmkii and A4mkii

The stereo sampler would be a bonus…

Ok thx for info.
Defenitly not for me. I saw the video for build up the diy v4+. To meticulous thing for me. That makes me understand the price I paid for Cirklon. Connect anything, doing clean solder, all that I’m not able to do (patience, kkowledge and time lacking).
Nice sequencer.

2 Likes

It looks like the Midiphy kits https://www.midiphy.com/en/mbseq-v4-/ do have a bunch of 1206 SMD on them. At least based on the DIY videos they have posted. Also are there other folks doing full kits?

1 Like

Im still tempted by the idea of https://xor-electronics.com/nerdseq/ with the midi expansion… seems super powerful and has that tracker style interface.

2 Likes

If you are into eurorack then it’s a nice seq

Ohh yea I totally forgot about that one. I think you can have some kind of game controller hooked up to it?

Good catch! I forgot they did that on the new kits. 1206 is enormous though, huge even. But yes that new kit has some large SMD on it.

Put solder on one pad, drop the 1206 size component on. Solder one pad and make sure it’s straight. Then apply solder to the other side (the easy way).

No other kits that I know of.

The V4 boards (non +)are all through hole but there isn’t a case for those (which I think is much harder to make than soldering SMD). Although I’ve been soldering at work for the last 12 years so no size or amount of legs scares me (smd or otherwise) lol.
Okay… I don’t do BGA’s :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Elektronauts,

Thanks for your interest and kind comments about the SEQ v4+. Just regarding the build, Peter made extensive step-by-step tutorial videos for the “Core” parts and the build itself. Not everything is SMT, but you’ll probably come to appreciate not needing to clip all of those leads :slight_smile:

Hope to see some new v4+ sequencers soon!

Best,
Andy

2 Likes

…and I’m only allowed two links per post.

More recently Peter published the tutorial for the set of Eurorack expander modules:

I’m happy to answer any questions you might have. The best place to post is on midibox.org forums or just send an email through the midiphy contact page
https://www.midiphy.com/en/contact-us/

2 Likes

As for my original post, today I went ahead and purchased the AKAI MPC X
I felt this was best for my needs and Iv’e already owned MPC 200xl etc before. Looking forward to receiving it tomorrow.

3 Likes