Looking to buy a new hardware sequencer

Yes I do… absolutely love it. This one is the final production units I have this one for factory sound design, can’t keep my hands off it

You know I’m on google now , so far I have looked at the following

Akai MPC X
Akai Live
Toraiz Squid

The Akai’s are appealing to me

OT is not good for poly sequencing. It can do it but your cords will always be forced on the same trig. You won’t be able to offset your notes to create a strummed effect unless you use more than one midi track. OT is good for other midi task especially the lfos and the arpeggios.

3 Likes

I’m new to the pyramid, but so far it is a very useful sequencer after just a bit of manual reading and getting into the workflow. Absolutely more enjoyable that Ableton/Cubase if tactility it important to you.
I’m using it with hardware synths with a keystep. Quite a leap up from OT/DT in many respects.
Though the odd thing about sequencers is that once you totally understand a particular unit, you always want some more features …

Find someone to build a Midiseq V4+.

I know someone to ask if interested…

5 Likes

The Akai’s are really good for recording midi. A combo of the Squid/MPC would probably be a great match. I have a MPC Live and it really is my best tool for midi. The MPC gives you 32 midi tracks with two separate midi outs. It’ll record your performance faithfully and gives you plenty of samples and onboard synths to play with. The MPC doesn’t have too many tricks though, you can set each track to its own length and randomize the notes if you like. There’s also a great cord and scale mode in there.

1 Like

I’m really liking the MPC series so far, The X is pretty expensive but could be a good investment… also like the Mpc Live as if I bought that one I could invest in a nice FX pedal

1 Like

You get what seems like unlimited tracks and sequences which is great. One flaw is it doesn’t have muti timbral midi inputs. That becomes an issue if you want to control more than one midi track at a time with an external midi controller. Think of something like a midi controller with sliders that you would want to use like a mixer, controlling the levels of several synths at once. Not possible now but maybe in a upgrade?

I would recommend to consider:

• Do you want a “linear”-sequencer, which also have some features of a step sequencer? Then MPC or Pyramid are great.
  • Do you want an old-school step sequencing experience - maybe even in a live situatioh - and perform like it was sometimes done with the analogue sequencers of the modular synths? Then other gear could be better fit. In this case the manual will tell, which play options a pattern/track supports (like: forward, backward, pendulum, variable length of pattern, variable start position of pattern, variable end of pattern,) or which single-event options are supported (like: ratcheting, mute, skip, jump-to, repeat, first-note, last-note, sub-loops inside a pattern)
1 Like

definitely ! … ucapps.de

Another idea, MPC and a launchpad pro for 64 pad extension with scales, velocity and aftertouch. Found the MPC 1000/2500 great as midi sequencers but being fairly old the sort of long load times for samples irritated me. Ended up designated as a midi sequencer which it thrived at, no more waiting. Decent CC editor with JJOS and some really fun tricks I’ve not found elsewhere. Never got into much midi sequencing with the live as we were waiting on automation lanes at the time, unsure if it’s been added yet as I no longer own one.

2 Likes

The new kits look amazing

https://www.midiphy.com/en/mbseq-v4-/

I’ll probably build one eventually even though I have an original V4 I made.

1 Like

That’s imho the main problem in Squid/MPC couple. It can’t match.
But yes, Mpc is great sequencer, i think Squid too.
Pyramid remain the best mid price range midi sequencer hardware. I like it a lot. More capability to improvise nice and original prog than MPC. Cirklon remain the hi level, kind of midi haute couture.
I would like to test Squid.
Sequencer are as drum machines and shoes. We need all of them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I think the pairing of the MPC and Squid will work with some forward thinking. In the studio while in composition I’ll place the Squid as the master and use its strength and advanced tricks to build up a song one track at a time. I’ll record the midi into the MPC. In performance mode I’ll have MPC as master playing the main parts of the song while leaving the Squid to handle a few elements that can be performed live.

1 Like

Has this been already mentioned … ?

That’s a very hands on and very versatile machine.

1 Like

I wondered often, and have now the deluge in front of me.
It arrived today and I’m learning the basics.

I have a lot of small synths with midi in (micromonsta, mb33, 0-coast,…) and I want to drive them with it. Benefit of that box: it can bleeps and blops too.

OMG I don’t need any more sequencers (currently at 8, not including the Zoia), but I feel like that whole project was designed just for me. I really want to build one. Now to find 600 bucks.

1 Like

Cirklon. How long does one have to wait?

It’s about 2 years atm. No obligation to buy when your time arrives, and no deposit needed. So if you feel you may be interested at some stage, then I’d say just add your name to the list and see if you want to go for it when it’s your turn.

I think the current long waiting time will improve as their small team settle more in Berlin. They’ve had to unexpectedly move from their office/workshop recently which has increased delays, hence the current wait time. Which I believe is the longest yet.

2 Likes

I would imagine the drop out rate on the list would be high as people change their minds or lose interest or havent the money. Theres not much better and it looks good. Very appealing. Added my name to this list along with the SP2400. Both solid units.

1 Like