Looking to buy a new hardware sequencer

Ohh yea I totally forgot about that one. I think you can have some kind of game controller hooked up to it?

Good catch! I forgot they did that on the new kits. 1206 is enormous though, huge even. But yes that new kit has some large SMD on it.

Put solder on one pad, drop the 1206 size component on. Solder one pad and make sure it’s straight. Then apply solder to the other side (the easy way).

No other kits that I know of.

The V4 boards (non +)are all through hole but there isn’t a case for those (which I think is much harder to make than soldering SMD). Although I’ve been soldering at work for the last 12 years so no size or amount of legs scares me (smd or otherwise) lol.
Okay… I don’t do BGA’s :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Elektronauts,

Thanks for your interest and kind comments about the SEQ v4+. Just regarding the build, Peter made extensive step-by-step tutorial videos for the “Core” parts and the build itself. Not everything is SMT, but you’ll probably come to appreciate not needing to clip all of those leads :slight_smile:

Hope to see some new v4+ sequencers soon!

Best,
Andy

2 Likes

…and I’m only allowed two links per post.

More recently Peter published the tutorial for the set of Eurorack expander modules:

I’m happy to answer any questions you might have. The best place to post is on midibox.org forums or just send an email through the midiphy contact page
https://www.midiphy.com/en/contact-us/

2 Likes

As for my original post, today I went ahead and purchased the AKAI MPC X
I felt this was best for my needs and Iv’e already owned MPC 200xl etc before. Looking forward to receiving it tomorrow.

3 Likes

To answer your question I would recommend you the Pyramid sequencer, but the mpc is sexy aswell.

A new hardware midi sequencer to be on the market soon. The Torso Electronics T-1.

It will help with Euclidian beats and a Melody Generator as well as way to selectively randomize. It’s pretty small and portable as well, with lots of controls. They are focused on having this for live performance. Looks potentially to be a strong candidate in the hardware sequencer marketplace. No word yet on price.

Torso Electronics

More here on GearNews:

6 Likes

I’m really trying to leave sound next year and you hit me with this. Please let me sell everything so I have nothing to sequence :joy:

1 Like

I apologize!

You know i should really stop posting this stuff too – it’s hard for me to resist too, and i feel some sort of commitment once i’ve posted something to follow it, and take an interest, and that’s just the merry path to spending more money.

I do like the idea on the Torso Electronics sequencer. And i need a sequencer for the HydraMonster i just bought. :open_mouth:

1 Like

I understand you were compelled, you couldn’t help yourself :laughing:

Yes it’s a nifty little thing the T1, registered for the news letter so you’ve recruited me for sequencer radicalisation :grinning::joy:

1 Like

Elektron really needs to build a standalone sequencer box :expressionless:

5 Likes

Definitely! I’d love something like this from Elektron.

I’ve been wondering if ASM, the Hydrasynth maker, might have something like this in mind too. It’s wild speculation on my part for this, but both HSs while having really advanced arpeggiators that fill some of the role of a sequencer, definitely have a hole that a standalone sequencer would fill very nicely. Exciting for me to consider, because the ASM team were so creative with the user interface with the HS, and a sequencer done with this sort of creativity could be very nice.

I’m interested with the Torso box in this role too, along with other standalone sequencers.

Before I forget, it goes without saying, do not buy a Toraiz Squid with any expectations that any misgivings you have about it will be fixed, or bugs. That is not the Pioneer DJ way. Anyone who’s had to own any Pioneer DJ gear or Toraiz gear will tell you the same.

The CDJ2000NXS2’s still have multiple crash-and-fail bugs that require a full power cycle to remedy, and despite being flagship products that are industry-standard for DJs, Pioneer DJ still hasn’t fixed them.

3 Likes

I believe ASM’s Glen Darcey was the designer of the BeatStep (Pro), too.

1 Like

HOLD THE PHONES!
Blimey this looks good!
Only worry is the ‘colour feedback’ and lack of any kind of screen. I really hope it won’t be like the Squid though, on paper it rocks but really it’s no fun in the bunker. Don’t ask :roll_eyes:
Another monolith to control all my flashing boxes :grin:

They certainly do have these crash and fail bugs, can confirm having to reset decks in the middle of a performance.

And Rekordbox is worse than iTunes which is quite an achievement! So would agree to have low expectations that they’ll make good of any bugs.

1 Like

The T-1 looks fantastic. Anyone recognize the names working on it?

I subscribed for news of the Torso, just got this mail:

First - Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all of you! We are really happy for all the attention we have received the past few months on social media, and in articles on Synthtopia, Synth Anatomy and many others. It’s very exciting for us to hear your thoughts and comments on the T-1. We are looking forward to sharing more news and content with you!

Ableton Link

It’s official that T-1 will be supporting Ableton Link! This will make sure that T-1 is playing in time with your DAW and all Link supported devices and apps. We have been working on this feature during the past year, and it was made possible by porting the Link platform to the ESP32 microcontroller. Now, we are working with Ableton to make it an officially supported platform, enabling other projects to use Link in hardware instruments.

Moving closer

We are working hard on the final details of every aspect of T-1, to get it ready for production. The mechanical design is almost done, the firmware is reaching its final version and we are currently testing what is hopefully the final version of the PCB design. At the moment we are making deals with manufacturers with the goal of starting the production of T-1 next year! Pricing and release dates will be announced soon.

Best
Jonas, Mathias, Mathias, and Lars

2 Likes

Unknown

I created a new thread to split it off from here: Torso T1

1 Like