Looking for a sound module with fast sample search

Hi… I have a Toraiz SP16 and the sample preview is terrible. I have to keep scrolling to each sample, listening only the One-Shots, load into my patterns to listen if it fits my drums patterns, if it doesnt fit I have to go back to my sample folders and try everything again on the next sample search. Until I find a good sample takes too long…

How is the preview on the OT?? I need a fast way to listen to each sample options in the sequence of my pre-programmed patterns like swapping the options inside the groove until I find a sample that mesh well together with the rest of the groove.

Does the Digitakt has better previewing of the samples??
Sorry for my bad english but could you understand what I mean??

On OT there is a shortcut allowing to select next sample in a folder/directory, while playing the sequence.
I don’t think DT have such a possibility.

OT pitch range is limited to +/- 1 octave. You can go much lower with the RATE parameter but with an external midi controller you only have 2 octaves to play with.

DT has a much wider pitch range, 2 octaves up, and something like 5 octaves down…
Mono samples only.

2 Likes

Digitakt sample preview is FUNC key + Yes. The sample preview loads instantly. Usual routine is FUNC + Yes to preview, then second press of the Yes button to flag the sample for loading if you like it (it has a little tick next to the sample name when you do that), then Down Arrow to jump to the next sample in the list.

It’s not quite as fast as an auto preview function (where the sample preview would load as soon as you down arrowed onto it) but once you get the muscle memory, it’s really fast in practice.

Once you’ve found the samples you want to load (all those with ticks), press Right Arrow and load to project. There is then a Confirm Y/N pop up which I’ve always found a bit annoying… yes I know I want to load the damn things, just get on with it!

Once a sample is loaded into the project (up to 128 samples per project) you can play each sample in the pool simply by pressing the trig button for the track you’re loading them into when you’re scrolling through samples in the source page. In other words, once a sample is loaded into a project it’s a one button click (the trig button for the track) to preview it.

1 Like

…with a ot, ur best option to switch 'n choose between various one shots are sample chains…
imagine, u curate and collect aaaaaallllll ur favourite kiks or snares or hihats or what not else and bounce those once and for all to samplechains, each with 64 single one shots in a row, as one long sample…drop them into a floder structure of ur liking, drop that folderstructure on ur cv card of the ot and then selct various collections of such sample chains into one of the sample slot lists, pick a track on the ot, adress it to one of those sample slots and from that point on ur free to play/place/program any slice (one shot) of that samplechain in various ways of playmodes and fx makeups in REALTIME at any given moment u like to do so…

4 Likes

What @reeloy said.
OT sample chains.

Winning.

2 Likes

Sample chains and slices all the way for me too ! You need to prepare them. Easy with appropriate dedicated softwares. 64 slices with different lengths, or up to 128 with equally spaced ones.
Good to select samples before anyway. Having tons of samples is good for DAW users maybe. :pl:

@weile talked about one shots.

@MuttBeats I didn’t try it with DT but I think workflow is faster in that concern with OT : the Func + Arrow combo directly swap samples…

2 Likes

Do you think that I can use sample chains to find samples faster in any hardware sampler?? Or this is just Elektron trick?? Because I would love to get an SP404 because of the finger drumming but they told me that the search system is very similar to my Toraiz SP16

Sure, if they use slices or similar.
1010 Blackbox/Tangerine can do it better with peak detection compared to Elektrons.

Why not ?
I’ve been frustrated by SP555, very similar to SP404 MKI. No CC control.
They apparently improved it on last versions…

Any sampler that allows chopping a sample into multiple slices, and then allows you to play one slice per trigger, will do. Not just an elektron trick.

Note, the octatrack is really bloody good at it.

1 Like

could you elaborate on this?

From OT Manual :

Selecting a sample in the Flex or Static sample slot list and pressing [FUNC] + [LEFT]/ [RIGHT] will load the next or previous sample from the directory the original sample resided in.

OT Flex and Static machines play the sample selected in the slot list. With that Func+Arrows shorcut next or previous sample of currently selected sample’s folder will be selected, and played as soon as it is loaded in the slot (fast for regular drum sounds).

See what I mean ?
Fast selection/listening in the sequence for sure (within a folder).

Not sure of my English, tired!

2 Likes

Just a reminder for those who don’t know. I didn’t know about it till yesterday, so convenient!!

1 Like