Looking for a sample management software

I developed my own; because; why not? But probably won’t ever release it.

Apart from what @acidhouseforall suggested; on OSX there is Iced Audio Finder

https://icedaudio.com/site/

3 Likes

Ah ! Interesting… care to share some design decisions ? I’m probably 50% done so I won’t change much now, but it’s always interesting to see how the others do.

Mine is python/wxwindow based, with basic audio manipulation in numpy. Portaudio python bindings for playback. Nothing fancy for search, just simple criterias, but I may add ML-based features later if they make sense.

Wave Agent can be cool for this. win/osx

check out Loopcloud, the sample manager functionality is quite decent and it’s free

No subscription plans for me, ever!

Yes, I checked both, the ADSR one is close to what I’d like to use, the other one does basically the same thing, and the paid “pro” version is under development and doesn’t have much to offer (yet) over the free one nor over the free ADSR. Many bells end whistles that are not necessary because in the end we need an external editor anyway.
Neither has the feature I REALLY need: integrated batch samplerate/bitdepth conversion and export. I have samplerate converters but they all have issues with nested folders.
Many sample collections come in a nested folder structure such as FantasticSounds/AllSamplesCollection/SomeCriterium/ThisX0X/Hits/Kicks/Wav/ProcessedOrDry/FinallyASound.wav
I have many of these that need to be converted to work on my different samplers. I’ve tried to run many a batch converter on those collections but many seem to be limited in their nested file handling.

In the end, I just want a collection of kicks, a collection of snares etc and be able to make a selection, hit “export to (whatever format is needed)” and transfer that to the sampler.

What would be great is simply a CaptureOne or a Lightroom for samples.

I would be very interested in a batch sample converter. Anyone want to develop one? :slight_smile:

For what? I’ve already done such things. I’m sure plenty of other people have as well.

ffmpeg, sox, ecasound, etc… plenty of options there. Some scripting involved though.

Good one for Mac, if anyone is interested:

The auto-tagging is great.

2 Likes

R8brain from Voxengo is the one I use most, it’s free and sounds good

Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn’t just add an old Mac to my setup just to run a few of these Mac-only helper apps.

Doesnt audio ease snapper do batch conversions?

Been trying to recall a sample manager I saw awhile back, it would analyze all your samples and organize them into these groups of node type clouds and I think it also had a sequencer built in. I guess it was more than just a sample manager, but still, trying to figure out what that was.

Maybe Algonatus Atlas or XLN Audio XO ?

https://algonaut.audio/

5 Likes

Thank-you! It was XO I was looking for!! I did a Google search and could only find the Altlas software. But XO is the one!

That’s a neat one! A bit pricey, but looks like it’s worth the expense. I liked the concept immediately. Weird that this escaped my radar. Thanks for sharing! I definitely use a lot of Swedish stuff in my “live in the studio” rig… (my live host is Live Professor, another one from Sweden I highly recommend, a real Swiss Army knife)

Summer sale:

3 Likes

Foobar2000 is what I use for all of my conversion in Windows. Wavelab and Reaper both do batch processing and conversion but usually it’s quicker to just load everything into a Foobar2000 playlist, selecting it al, right clicking and choosing one of my conversion presets. There’s a SoX sample rate conversion plugin for it if you want to get picky about your SRC.

Reaper’s batch processor can do a lot more. Wavelab’s is probably the deepest but kind of clunky and Wavelab is pretty overpriced in 2021 (I only have a license because I needed it for work quite a few years ago; haven’t updated since 2015 and hardly use it anymore because 99.9% of the stuff I needed it for can be done with Reaper now).

EDIT: for editing, processing and tagging samples, creating chains, etc. I’d say again Reaper (although I actually again use Foobar2000 for most of my tagging). For cataloging and file management it’s maybe not the best choice, it has a perfectly decent file explorer but if there’s any kind of advanced file management I haven’t learned about it yet. It’s very possible if not likely that someone has developed an addon.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve been using Reaper for as long as I can remember… a bit on and off though. My main DAW is Harrison Mixbus 32c. But Reaper has really grown into a fantastic piece of software, I must admit…