Looking for a sample management software

Foobar2000 is what I use for all of my conversion in Windows. Wavelab and Reaper both do batch processing and conversion but usually it’s quicker to just load everything into a Foobar2000 playlist, selecting it al, right clicking and choosing one of my conversion presets. There’s a SoX sample rate conversion plugin for it if you want to get picky about your SRC.

Reaper’s batch processor can do a lot more. Wavelab’s is probably the deepest but kind of clunky and Wavelab is pretty overpriced in 2021 (I only have a license because I needed it for work quite a few years ago; haven’t updated since 2015 and hardly use it anymore because 99.9% of the stuff I needed it for can be done with Reaper now).

EDIT: for editing, processing and tagging samples, creating chains, etc. I’d say again Reaper (although I actually again use Foobar2000 for most of my tagging). For cataloging and file management it’s maybe not the best choice, it has a perfectly decent file explorer but if there’s any kind of advanced file management I haven’t learned about it yet. It’s very possible if not likely that someone has developed an addon.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve been using Reaper for as long as I can remember… a bit on and off though. My main DAW is Harrison Mixbus 32c. But Reaper has really grown into a fantastic piece of software, I must admit…

so what is XO’s best competition?

Algonauts Atlas

2 Likes

I think atlas is the older of the two isn’t it, I haven’t checked them out in a while,

forgot about this one

do any of these excel at finding and getting rid of duplicates by any chance?

v2 came out recently, added a sequencer amongst other things.

1 Like

Have looked at this one? https://www.jamsoft.co.uk/samplesort/

interesting, windows only but still I hadn’t heard of this one