Looking for a reverb

Definitely feel the quadra :slight_smile:
But hard to find ! If someone sell it
 :smile:

1 Like

Where are you located? Quadraverbs are a dime a dozen here

1 Like

Im in France. Only one on AF (ref to sell in france) with a broken psu, another on Facebook market but guy dont want to send

I know a guy on FB that has a bunch of them here in the US. Will ask if he’s willing to ship internationally.

1 Like

Oh thanks :slight_smile:

Could you link me to the dude. I’m in the US.

Does anyone have to test the TC M350 ? and TC M-One XL

I used M1 XL a lot about 20 years ago, (live and in the studio) and it was great value if you couldn’t afford a mid-level Lexicon (PCM 70) or a Yamaha SPX 990. It was considered an improvement over Quadreverbs at the time.
But reverb quality is highly correlated with DSP power, so buying a 20 year old reverb is a bit like buying a 20 year old laptop. Other than the vintage charm it is vastly inferior. M1 doesn’t have a unique “character” like a 12 bit 80’s unit, it’s just old and takes up a lot of space. A brand new zoom pedal will cost less, take up less space, require less maintenance, give you 6 simultaneous algo’s instead of 2 and probably sound better (this is where taste enters the picture).

M350 was :poop: to begin with. Although both have TC Electronics in their name, they have little to do with the TC M3K/4K/5K. Those were expensive flagship units that sound as good as any current unit or plugin. It may be overkill for you or not your taste, but at least I can see the logic of owning one over a modern desktop unit. Seriously, Zoom, Empress, Digitech, Eventide
they’re all really good and any one will blow an M1 out of the water on any measurable parameter.

Remember that old gear needs maintenance, which is not cheap. When your M1/Qudreverb goes to the shop it costs the same to fix as a new unit and sometimes it’s just unrepairable because of parts that are no longer available. After the first repair, the combined cost will be very close to the price of a new unit.

My 2 cents after spending too much time and money maintaining old inferior junk.

8 Likes

quadraverbs are like 80$

1 Like

If recreating that particular 90’s sound is central to your music, then by all means, buy 3 units and you should have spare parts to last you for years. You might even buy one just to sample your presets into a convolution plug/device.

But nostalgia aside, and for most practical and musical purposes it is a hissy, heavy, rusty old device with half the functionality of a brand new $120 stomp-box.

3 Likes

Very goods points @Joe_b indeed !

I agree, certainly in the terms of pure computing power older will not be superior.

What i do think people who buy into vintage gear/effects is paying for is something less tangible. Like a “quality” that is highly subjective. Of course not everything vintage is expensive, so buying old and used can be a bargain compared to not having anything.

As a photographer by trade it reminds me of vintage lenses that can cost 10x more now, compared to when they were in production. :slight_smile: Optical formulas does not age like processing power, but there certainly have been strides made, in coating in particular. Still some of us pay top dollar to get that “look” we want. Something that many times are the result of a flaw in the design, and sometimes even can be replicated in post.

Im sure there are exceptions as with everything, some vintage gear simply hold their own and is built to last. Electronics of course being more prone to failure than optics.

3 Likes

Another vote for the Quadraverb. I’ve just recently started using it on the FX Send of my mixer and it sounds great as a master Fx (at least to my ears)!

2 Likes

Good to know thanks, i the moment i wait to a good deal on Quadraverb or EHX Cathedral (yes not the same things). First a find, first i keep.

Also had the Cathedral many years ago, but I only used it on guitar. Good pedal, very versatile!

So as a master FX you think Quadra is better or you just don’t test Cathedral as master FX ?

I just didn’t test it, I only played guitar back then. :slight_smile:

@Rea_001 a quadraverb on AF!
I’d buy one, then another model to compare, eventually sell the worst after

Ah, it’s a a Quadraveb, in Buxelles. :wink:

3 Likes

Sorry to complicate things a little but isn’t there a difference between a Quadraverb and Quadraverb Plus?

Yes, there is a thin, subjective line between vintage and junk.

I certainly appreciate the old-school sound and feel and even old-school workflows. I can even understand collecting gear for the sake of having a collection (still have my CD’s
). My comment was in the context of the OP who did not seem to be looking to evoke a particular sound from a particular period. He was just looking for a budget reverb.

To have a 20-30 year old unit shipped from the US to France, from a private seller, in the hope that it is in perfect working order and that it will remain so for several years to come, does not make practical sense to me. Those people buying vintage lenses hopefully know exactly why they are choosing those lenses over new ones and understand the trade-offs.

3 Likes