Logic Pro X - M:S MIDI connection

Hi there! I’m fairly new to using external gear like the Model:Samples groovebox.
I am using Logic Pro X with a Motu 8Pre interface.
The M:S is really cool. Comes with USB which is great.
I’ve figured out how to record via Audio on the M:S pretty easily with USB and TS cables.
My main question is about setting up 6 separate tracks for MIDI input for the M:S.
In Logic Pro X you can assign an External Instrument track per 6 tracks corresponding to T1-T6 on the M:S. I have all that set up in the M:S for Midi-In and Midi-Out.
**I don’t want to change the Audio Input in My Preferences to the Elektron Model:Samples.
Do I have to do this via USB in order to record MIDI? ** If so, it seems strange. I have a MIDI keyboard via USB and that didn’t need set as the audio input in my settings.
Anyone using Logic Pro X that knows how to setup MIDI who can help would be swell!

Thanks!

-Daniel

Hi Daniel!
You should check these 3 things:

• active MOut on every track on M:S
  • midi settings on M:S - Out to USB (or M+U)
  • in Logic MIDI preferences - active M:S input

Hope it will help
David

Thanks David! And all I should need is a USB connection, correct? And I don’t need to alter my Audio Device Input from my interface to be the Model:Samples, correct?

Yes, exactly
You can use your current MOTU audio interface, connect MS via USB and just activate midi input from MS. Just tried it and it works well.

Sounds great thanks. One other question: I’m trying to set up multitrack midi recording. I am able to route everything fine to 6 different midi channels. I’ve practiced recording them one by one and they are definitely set to their respective T1-T6 MIDI tracks. But when I try to record all six at once they all record, but tracks 2-6 all just revert to what track 1 is playing. Do you know of a setting in Logic that allows to separate out for multi-track recording the 6 different tracks on the M:S?

Thanks David!

For me the simplest way is to record to just one midi track in Logic.
Once recorded ctrl+click on region - MIDI - Separate by MIDI channel and you get 6 new tracks with regions for each channel.

1 Like

Oh wow I will have to try that

wow that works. I still have issues though with the output. Like when I plug in my midi keyboard to a software instrument via usb it syncs well with my interface and DAW and all and I hear it through the main outs of my monitors attached to the Main R and L through my interface. With this little groovebox I need to be connected via some sort of audio ( either making the M:S my audio input via preferences or through actually routing my M:S to my interface in channels 1 and 2). I think it has to do with the fact that I’m using an External Instrument Plugin.

There are two ways how to route audio from MS.

1/ You can set your current MOTU interface both as Input and Output device in Logic, and then you have to connect outputs from MS to inputs on MOTU. This way you will be recording the analog way.

2/ Or you can set your MOTU as output device and MS set as input device in Logic. In this setup audio from MS will be recorded digitally via usb.

I personally use the first setup because I need more inputs on my interface for other synts. But if M:S is your only HW you want to record to Logic then second setup could be better for you.

1 Like

Haha I understand what my hangup has been. I’ve been thinking of this gear totally wrong.
Cuz it saves the Midi data points in logic but not the actual samples used in the M:S patterns, but unless I record it as audio, when I disconnect the M:S those samples on the M:S won’t be saved to the MIDI grid. Of course they aren’t. The M:S samples aren’t saved in the MIDI data. Just the data points are. It’s not a software instrument. This is my first MIDI item that’s not a virtual instrument. Just taken a bit to understand that.

Exactly :slight_smile:
You can record audio (samples) or midi data.
And you can record both simultaneously in Logic if you want.
Depends on your intensions.