"Locking" All the trigs of a track?

Hi! Im coming from the teenage engineering PO’s and a really neat thing about them is that when im laying down trigs with some settings of parameters they are automatically locked so that when i press the button for the sound and change some parameters, they dont change in the sequence. This enables me to play around with with new settings of the sound without worrying about messing up the trigs already in the sequence. Now im new to digitakt and wonder if there is a similar way or workaround to this? It would be handy to have a button “lock all parameters to the active trigs” so i can fiddle around with the sound. Thanks!

After doing crazy modifications with the parameters just press FUNC+NO to reload the last saved situation.

Locking parameters to active trigs in the elektron world is often called p-locking. The pocket operators do a basic version of this compared to elektron machines.

Read the digitakt manual thoroughly. It will be helpful.

Yeah i know its called p-locking and i know about func+no to reload it. I guess i have to explain better. Say i have ONE track and want both kick and hihat on that track. I do live rec and jam out with the kick. Now i want hihat, i can do this with p-locking as to paint a trig, choose the hihat sample and copy paste it wherever i want to. But if I want to live jam with the hihat i have to lock all the kick trigs to their sample. This is kind of tedious to do manually, go into all the trigs i played and lock them. Ive read the manual but there could be something i missed, thats why im asking here. Is there a way to lock ALL the trigs EVERY parameter in the whole pattern? This is the difference with the PO’s, they automatically lock all the parameters when laying down trigs. This makes for a really fast workflow.

You would use one track for kick and one for the hi hats. The tracks don’t interfere with one another.

The po12, which I’m assuming you are talking about as we are talking drums, is not a single track. Say you lock a kick pattern, when you switch to the hat to jam you are theoretically switching tracks. Do the same in the dt.

2 Likes

…he’s clearly talking about the feature to lay down a trig which is a bass drum… and then stays as a bass drum even if you are going to change pitch for instance. the problem is that the elektron machines affecting the laid sequence.

but THIS as a feature request would be dope.

but using sound locks for instance comes really close and everybody has to use copy/paste on nearly every stage for the fastest flow of beatprogramming…same with RYTM

1 Like

Ok, so what’s a work around?

copy/paste

You could probably do it quicker holding multiple trigs to plock and sound lock, no?

of course.
but even if you have a lot of POs it would be nice to seperate the sound source from the sequencer.

…and then imagine different routings between all tracks. using seven 7 lfos and their p locking states affecting one track…would be dream machine

So I have multiple PO’s and a DT, I’m not sure where you are going with your replys or even how it pertains to the original post. Sorry.

The original post is asking about being able to sequence the dt in a manner that is similar to the pocket operators. In my opinion the pocket operators function similarly to the elektron sequencers but more basically. What the original poster was asking is possible in the way I described, by utilizing a track for the hat and a track for the kick and plocking and soundlocking.

1 Like

Using different sounds was just an example.

From what I understand, OP is seeking a similar workflow to the latest (and possibly also earlier) POs where any trigs placed in the sequencer will retain the settings used at the time of placement. So, for example, setting the pitch of a kick to C, placing/recording a few trigs, then setting it to G, and placing/recording more trigs will result in the first bunch still playing C while the others play G. Similarly with different sounds within one microtonic kit on the PO-32/35. If you record a kick and then change the kit sound, the kick will stay the same and allow you to place trigs with the new sound in between (or replacing) the kicks.
Of course it’s possible to do this on the DT with different tracks, and the first example is possible with chromatic mode, but OP has a point, as it’s not possible to live record multiple different sounds into one track.

Op asked for a work around. Is the work around I gave not valid?

Also, the new po’s live record?

Somewhat, but it’s quite a different workflow either way, so not quite the same as on the POs. The end result is the same but the technique in order to get there requires a different way of thinking. Both have their advantages though!

They all can, if you hold the write button while playing; at least, from what I can recall of the PO-12. I have the 33 and 35, which can definitely live record that way.

If you live record the pitch gets recorder, but nothing else. So the filter change will affect it later. Sadly the only way now is to manually p-locking everything

Thanks for the info people! Yeah you got it @pselodux ! It would be cool with a way to turn this feature on in the settings, to have it p-lock all params on the trigs. Might just submit it as a request and hope for the best!

1 Like

+1 for this as a feature request. I wouldn’t want it to be the default but would definitely make a lot of use of it on some tracks. It’s super fluid on the PO-12.

Possible alternative? If you hold a trig and then enter Live Record mode, that copies the held trig into a buffer. Then, any key you press while recording essentially copies that buffer to that position. When you stop recording, your track’s settings are still whatever they were before. You could manually do this with copy and paste but it’s not the same experience and if you’re the type to record with quantize off, it would be a total PITA (if not impossible) to recreate via manual micro timing edits.

Wouldn’t be a lot simpler and better to be able to audition individual trigs?

1 Like