Lo-Fi samplers, beats and things

Don’t forget the SP-202! You can pick one up for about $200 and it sounds as gritty as you like. 16 bit with variable sample rates ranging from 31.25 khz all the way down to a prehistoric 3.91 khz :grimacing: I prefer the 15.63 khz the best. It has a great filter and pitch effect too. But my favorite part is the crappy on board mic. I’ll record my acoustic guitar or just a bottle cap bouncing on the table, and it sounds wonderfully lofi recorded through the mic. The 202 doesn’t have a sequencer, but I use mine to record samples and give them some grit before sending them into the 404.

14 Likes

LoFi-Rosaurus Rex.

3 Likes

I gave Espi 1200 by low hiss vst a workout. And its not bad at all. Compared a few samples with the S2400 i had and not much difference. I guess its small margins in the end.

3 Likes

Are there any stereo pedals that can give the 12-bit treatment to samples? I have a Digitakt and 404mk2 so I don’t really want to buy another sampler but a pedal that could lightly scuff up samples on the way would be pretty useful. I agree with @Sleepyhead that the 404mk2 lofi effects are pretty heavy handed to my ear. Artificial is an excellent way to describe it. The OTO Bim has been mentioned a couple of times which has peaked my interest. I have the Gen Loss mk2 on the way and am hoping that can subtly (and not so subly) effect samples on the way in.

1 Like

I always forget about that program. But word. Dude did a great job emulating the sound of the SP. I’ve never owned an SP-1200 but it sounds right to my ears.

1 Like

I should say I haven’t been extremely extensive in my search. The main things have been Maschine and MPC and they both sound way worse. I’d try the Espi but I don’t see the point when I have a hardware unit lol

It’s does the trick. The delays are also good.

1 Like

I’ve been investigating the Bim based on this thread specifically for running audio through it for the 12-bit sonic characteristic. I came across someone comparing the Bim to the Roland SDE-1000 specifically for this purpose. Does anyone have experience with both? There is an SDE-1000 at a shop near me for $199 and I’m wondering if I should just pick it up or spend the extra cash for the Bim? It will primarily be used for the 12-bit processing but I am of course interested in the delays as well. Are there any other clear advantages or disadvantages to either besides the savings if I pick up the SDE-1000? Thanks.

I believe it. Legendary SP1200 user DJ Muggs claims that he’s completely ITB nowadays, and his music sounds as gritty as ever.

2 Likes

Does the Roland have thru mode like the BIM? From what I understand, that is fairly unique to the BIM. Thru mode allows you to just hit the 12 bit converter, without any delays.

3 Likes

From what I understand (reading a few comment on a YT Bim video), there is a fairly simple workaround to hit the 12-bit without delay but it is not a dedicated thru mode.

1 Like

Well that is interesting.

I went and found the comment from a video about the Bim. Commenter says:
“ I used to do the thru mode trick with an old Roland SDE-1000 (delay and feedback all the way down, no actual thru mode), the BIM has made it much easier. (Though if anyone wants a cheaper option, SDE-1000s are still going for around $150 last I checked.)”

3 Likes

I was wondering the same.

1 Like

have you sampled drums into the microgranny? curious how that sounds.

2 Likes

yeah the delays are unreal. i love mine. need to run drums through it for the 12 bit vibe.

Where can I hear the full version at?

1 Like

There isn’t a full version. I recorded the beat to the vocal to see how it sounded in context. So it was always just that.

I did make a longer version of the beat with the Digitakt. If I remember correctly, it’s just the main sample that went through the Sampletrak and the drums and horns were just samples to the Digitakt.

11 Likes

This thread got me inspired to bust out the P033 again and resample some drums.

3 Likes

Damn that was nice. I need to get back into chopping up samples and making some Hip-hop.

2 Likes