Live with Octatrack with finished tracks in Ableton

I use one shots when I want to trig them while the sequencer is already running (“on demand trigs”), in which case a 1st TRC wouldn’t be appropiate.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of comments so I’m not sure if it’s already been suggested but turning preexisting songs into OT format sounds like a job for octaedit

I’m still on 1.25H as I’m not fully convinced of the stability and functionality of the latest OS, so no trig conditions for me…

I use one-shot recorder trigs probably just because I’m used to it, I could also use track+rec, but sometimes I arm more than one recorder at once with function+yes… I use one shot play trigs to launch long static samples not on the first pattern cycle. As @roadmoviemusic said also useful as “on demand trigs”, I don’t have the fill condition either. And then there’s this trick:

1 Like

OK my ears have pricked up… Go on

Usually for drum fills. The nice thing about one shot trigs is that you can vary the drum fill.
If for example you have several one shot trigs set for hi hats, you can keep the button pressed down (it re-arms one shots immediately after one was played) and play all of them, or only play once, or start finger drumming on the yes button.

not an owner yet but a big update is coming and i’ve been watching the thread closely. its a complete computer editor for octatrack, definitely worth a look. planning on buying when the update comes around. it looked useful before but the software is looking deeper and deeper. if youve got a lot of premade stuff outside of OT I can see it being very useful. check it out, the recent posts in particular

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/octaedit-win-osx-octatrack-software-editor/

1 Like

Cool. I’ve been keeping an eye on that thread, but like you I don’t own the original, so it’s all a bit foreign to me at the moment and I’m trying to work out how it could work for me, so comments like yours are really helpful for enabling me to get a ‘real world’ use in my head!

I produce in ableton and often use long reverb tails. They will cut off when I sequence them on the Octatrack, right? Do you guys export your stems dry and use the OT reverbs?

If you cut samples, obviously yes.
If you prepare and play them as a seemless loop, you can keep reverb.
If you sequence one shot sounds or re-order slices of a loop, dry seems better for long reverbs.

Thank you! Yes, I use one shots. Internal fx seems to be the better option anyway because I can manipulate them with lfo’s and scenes.

1 Like