Live setup

I am doing electronic downtempo music as well as progressive house. I want a live setup just to improvise and have fun with combining loops and patterns as well as mix between scenes and songs. I am thinking of the following setup : Octatrack + Analog four MK2 + push 3 + korg wavestate

Does this make sense? thank you for any input !

1 Like

what do you mean “does this make sense?” only you can answer that. any live set up takes a lot of practice to master. you can make any kind of music w/that gear. you will have to get to know each piece well and then connect them all together in a way that makes sense for you and then practice jamming with it.
do you already own any of this gear or would it all be new to you?

1 Like

I think “does this make sense” is a good question!

But yeah, what do you own currently? To me this sounds like a lot. I can comfortably manipulate two familiar boxes (drum machine + synth) simultaneously and three if I push myself, and this without any audience. Octatrack + A4 is probably a lot already, plenty of people do live stuff with OT only.

Assuming you don’t currently have these machines, id say a few things to consider-

OT- bit of a learning curve, you’d want to allocate a fair bit of time to get comfortable with it on its own before adding stuff to it

A4- ditto

Push 3- to me it’d be overkill having this/Ableton and OT together. Would make a lot of sense (to me at least) to settle on either this or OT but not both

Korg Wavestate- never used one IRL but had/have the VST and it was fairly deep when I could be arsed to use it, But probably cool in whatever setup EDIT: I had the OPSIX and while I didn’t much like the build (felt a bit cheap) it was pretty immediate and fun to dial in sounds on the fly

1 Like

Agree with the above post.
Push 3 seems like overkill.
It’s also as complex to incorporate Live as it is the OT, possibly more of a headache.

I personally would start with just the OT and A4. You can do SO MUCH with only those too.
Learn those together and let that be the heart of what you add on in the future.

Or, just start with Push 3 and see what makes sense to add as you go.

1 Like

Great cues thank you !

Thanks for this. I own Push 2 right now and want to move to Push 3 so it is standalone. But i do get that the OT and AR are probably enough.

1 Like

If I were you I’d be asking myself, do I want to move forward using Push, or move forward with limited hardware that for some creates a better workflow?

Also, which workflow is more fun to perform.
Solely my opinion, but I have more fun performing with 3 Elektrons, each used minimally, but maximized performance fun.

If I’m doing a gig with just the OT, or just Ableton, the music is basically the same, but way less fun.