Live setup crash - a delicious whodunit

Obligatory blame Overbridge post.

1 Like

Hi glooms, I have experienced OB related shittiness, but itā€™s been solid for me since OS 1.50

2 Likes

Hi Pete,

I agree there are so many things that can potentially go wrong.

Wifi / bluetooth / all little apps closed.

Buffer size in Ableton is 512, and in OB control panel 256/100. When buffer is too little I experience crackles. I did adjust the OB buffering from 128 to 256, the week before the show (bad, I know), but this was all to reduce the potential for crackles (at the expense of latency, which I can deal with to a degree).

I was using a ā€œstay awakeā€ app on my mac, (called Insomniax) which allows me to close my lid with everything still running. This had never been a problem. And after the first crash, I disabled it and kept my lid open, but the crashes kept happening. Again, the computer was still running after each crash. after the third crash I restarted my mac. Still crashed after that.

I think unless I try to replicate the crash I will always be a bit worried. I could go back to using my multi I/O interface and just use the audio outs from my Rytm. I have done a few shows that way with no issue. Iā€™m just not convinced that OB was the problem.

I have a session scheduled for this Thursday night, and I will replicate the exact setup with my partner and report back.

1 Like

try to get a decent soundcheck and have a backup plan in case things go to shit

The frustrating thing is that we DID have a soundcheck. And of course everything was working fine.

Good advice on the contingency plan. When I DJ, I always have a backup ipod or something in case everything goes to shit. In this case that would have just been confusing and weird for the small venue.

UPDATE: CULPRIT STILL AT LARGE

Just wanted to follow up with the results of attempts to replicate the crashes. We set up the same pile of gear last night with the same cables plugged into the same ports, same Live file, same elektron system settings and usb settings etc. Unfortunately we were not able to replicate the crashes that were happening at our show.

IF it was the usb OverHub, people have said (here and in other posts) that it would be due to shitty soldering. While our setup was running last night I was jiggling and even pulling out cables while we were running sound, and it wouldnā€™t actually freeze up my Rytm, it would just stop it. This is inconsistent.

IF it was dirty power, thereā€™s no easy way to replicate that, but as @PlumWrinkles suggested, I think I will get a power conditioner to help protect the gear from power fluctuations.

I was curious about the MIDI feedback loop possibility, as @ANON20yhouse530 suggested. But my midi info is via usb in on the rytm, and via midi cable out (clock and transport) to the other gear. nothing is coming back in to my rytm or computer from the other gear. Seems not possible for any feedback looping to occur.

Iā€™m going to stop trying to solve this, and moving forward, as most have suggested, I will be extremely detail oriented about maintaining the exact arrangement of everything in the weeks leading up to a show.

Thanks all

5 Likes

power conditioners just make me feel safe, and for that i love them.

2 Likes

oh man what a wild ride. Do update on whether you still encounter issues after adding the power conditioner, it would be really interesting (and useful) to solve this mystery.