Live resampling of a static machine?

Yoyo! I recently got a OT and I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

I think I already know the answer to this - which is no - but I thought I would consult you guys first before I look at other ways to achieve this.

I want to play back a full track (e.g. static machine, T1) and resample it internally as it plays - so on T2 with a flex machine I would set it to rec T1 and mess around with Lfos and Plocks and then have a neighbour on T3 to add further effects.

Is this possible? From what I’ve read it can only really rec/playback inputs a/b c/d in the way that I want.

What are you reading because that’s totally possible.

Yeah, just set your sample buffer to record the track you want sample. Pretty simple. If you are using a trig to record, hold it down and make sure the midi button is lit (I think it’s the same on the MKII).

Yeah sorry I should’ve been more specific in initial post. I’ve got the setup working, but what I want is to resample and slice the recorder buffer on the go so that I can jump between slices and live remix that way?

Also not sure what you mean about enabling midi? As I’m not using midi here.

You can slice the buffer without stopping playback, it makes no difference what your source was.

1 Like

How do you do that?

Maybe I don’t understand what you want to do exactly but there’s only one way to slice samples that I know of and that’s to go to the slice tab in the sample editor. Please see the manual for details.

uh yep so I know how to slice things its just I cant slice the recorder buffer without pausing playback so not sure what you are doing there - can you please elaborate on that part?

1 Like

Pretty sure you can’t slice a record buffer while it’s recording. You can however slice an inactive buffer, and the slices will stay in place if you overwrite it. You’d have to record or assign a sample of the same length as the audio you want to resample to get them in the right place.

3 Likes

Yeah this is what I thought as well. I recorded 16 steps into the buffer then sliced them - but the problem I am having is the buffer is delayed 16 steps because it has to record 16 steps initially before it can play anything back. When I mess with the slice start points on different trigs it will play back a slice from the source which is ahead in time - not the pattern that the buffer is actually playing back. I doubt that makes sense but I’m unsure how else to describe it… lol

I’m going to keep messing around but I dunno if what I’m trying to do is possible.

If it’s a full song why don’t you just slice it ahead of time? I still don’t think I understand what you want to do.

Well, of cause it can’t playback audio from the future. When using a pre-sliced buffer you’ll simply need to be careful that the slices you trigger are already recorded.

And of course you also need to be careful with pitching up which may also run out of already recorded audio data.

But what I don’t get in your case: since the audio is already on the CF card and not really “live”: why not simply jump around the audio with the/a static machine? I don’t see any benefit to treat it like it’s live audio coming in. If you want one track to play through then just use a second static machine with the same sample to jump around and perform whatever you want.

3 Likes

The best way to understand what is possile/not possible with OT and live resample/playback is to watch this video several times: Octatrack Fake-outs: 'Live' Reversing and Re-pitching - YouTube

3 Likes

Trueeeeee, perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way. Thanks for the thoughtful reply man

1 Like

cool, thanks, I’ll check this out!

Seems like the master has made a video about live remixing… havent watch it yet, but maybe you can draw something from it…

1 Like

Since we’re already talking live resampling:

How come i can real time sample a track with a recorder and playback on trig one without nudging, but if i pitch down or half the rate, i HAVE to nudge the playback trig?
Shouldn’t it only be when pitching up or reversing? Also, why is it that actually you can’t pitch up if timestretch is on?

Well, I guess that comes from the fact that audio processing is done on blocks of sample values. So if there is any kind of processing necessary before the audio gets sent further up the line such a block needs to be filled first.

1 Like

You can, with more microtiming delay. It should correspond to this :
Timestretch require 6143 samoles minimum (139 ms).

You can’t playback SRC3 recordings without nudging. You problably hear previous recording, delayed by track length.

2 Likes

Thanks to both. Hard to hear that im sampling the past when just using a sine wave.

1 Like