Live recording midi arpeggiator

Hi, hopefully not an old question here. Is it possible to live record arpeggiated notes to the midi step sequencer? For example, if I hold a chord down in chromatic mode (octatrack keys) with the arp switched on I can hear my arp play. If I switch to live rec mode (rec + play) I would expect the midi notes that the arp is generating to get recorded across the midi steps. To better explain, I have a beatstep pro and the firmware was recently updated to allow you to record midi notes generated by the arp into the step sequencer. See this video: https://youtu.be/JCViFiSyYyY

Is this possible on the OT? With or without patching midi in to midi out with a din cable?

So far I’ve been able to record midi notes into the step sequencer as a chord with the arp running (in live rec mode), but only if I stab the keys at exactly the correct point in the sequence (i.e. on the 1st downbeat in my sequence) but the OT only records a single trig. Is this as good as it gets?

With. It’s not realtime but you can record your arp chords, play the track and record notes on another track.
With external keyboard, Arp is active only if the track is active. So I think it wouldn’t be possible to play a track with arp while recording notes on another track.

Why do you want to record notes independently from arp ? You can record arp notes of the Beat Step Pro in the OT…
Are you sure Beat Step Pro records only notes ?
I watched the video, but nothing confirmed it to me.

I guess its a workflow thing, i prefer to jam around with chords with arp running until I find something I like, then record the midi notes so that I can save that particular pattern.

It might be that I haven’t quite wrapped my head around the OT arp. It just feels like you have to program all your notes in - not great for a live situation. To be honest though I have been having a lot of fun with it - way more powerful than the arp in the beatstep pro.

Couple of other things that would be great/seem to be missing though:

• global swing on the arp
  • ability to latch notes

I am also looking for a decent solution to achieve what you’re asking for. Currently I am using external sequencer, but I’d like to use OT sequencer just for arp parts. Have you found any technique to overcome this?

You want to record OT’s arp notes, not chords?

I want to record arp chords, play the track and record notes on another track as you’ve described above. The question is if we can do this without self-patching MIDI OUT to IN?

No.

3 Likes