Live Record Mode using Midi

Hello friends,

Can I use an external midi controller to toggle Live Record Mode on and off?

If so, how?

There doesn’t seem to be a dedicated function in the cc chart but maybe there’s a way.

Happy Musicing!

No. Are you far from your OT ? :content:

1 Like

in the manual of OT MKI > MIDI MODE CTRL CHANGE MAPPINGS (C-2) there is Hex0x36 aka CC54 called “All Arm” with (0=All disarm, [1-127]=Arm). Guessing this is meant to control Audio-Tracks as the same entry is in the CHANGE MAPPINGS, but i always found it rather suspicious that all entries of tha earlier mentioned list point to control MIDI MODE.

So i would suspect i start testing. Because if that would turn out to be a failure in my learning curve after a couple of years OT use then i need to switch what i drink. As i imagine (not tested) that turning on LIVE-Edit on the machine makes sense to keep control where it belongs and then control with MidiChannel+CC54 what to arm for recording. But as Midi tracks have no recording trigs that could be armed i think that will eternal stay a wet dream unless i find out that i missed a feature. Thats so fun with the OT you never really know if you learned really everything this thing does.

Idk, but the rec+play combo is a bit risky in a live performance situation, isn’t it?
If you miss, the machine pauses playback, so a “safe” way to engage live rec would indeed be pretty cool. Not just for the OT, for all Elektrons.
Live recording and then deleting p-locks, recording new ones etc. can be a great performance tool.

Sounds like it refers to arming of one shot trigs.

Edit: Hey, I just found out we can press the rec button, hold it for a second or two and then press play. It’s basically a performance-safe way of engaging live record, no risk of pausing the sequencer! Of course we don’t have to slam that button down like a Tekken combo move!
All those years I was living in fear of accidentially stopping the music. Turns out, I don’t have to! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: