Live MIDI looper on Digitakt?

Hi guys! Long time reader, first time poster here :slight_smile:

I had a mini epiphany after reading through the Octatrack manual today… Specifically the MIDI CC direct connect section.

Basically you connect your synth’s MIDI out into the OT’s MIDI in and OT’s MIDI out into synths MIDI in, pick your chosen CCs and it enables you to record all your knob movements and note data direct from your synth into the OT sequence (example here with the TR-8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W07SakAHZ6g)

Paired with a MIDI merger and a MIDI thru box, the potential would be huge! All your synths / drum machines would now essentially have a live MIDI looper. And there’d be no need for interaction with the octatrack or a master keyboard or remembering which CC controls what etc. You’d just press record and play.

Kinda funny because I was just looking into getting a MidiREX (https://midisizer.com/midirex/) for exactly this purpose but looks like there’s no need now!

Anyway, so when I got home I decided to give this a go with my Digitakt and Monologue but after an evening of tinkering, still no luck :frowning:

I’d enabled “Receive Notes” and “Receive CC” in the MIDI settings but whilst the notes recorded into the sequence fine (as expected) the knob movements weren’t being recorded as CC data.

Annoying because when controlling an audio track the Digitakt had no problem recording the respective CC knob movements from the monologue.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Reckon I’ll be investing in a OT soon anyway (mainly for the live audio processing / looping goodness) so it’s not the end of the world if not, would just be nice to give it ago before then.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Saving my notes here from the setup that I got working.

Also refer to page 15 / section 5.3.3 in the full manual (as opposed to the quick start guide).

Keep in mind that DT tracks 1-8 are dedicated trigger tracks for each of the 8 samples per pattern.
Tracks 9-16 are MIDI tracks for external gear. with those 8 midi channels for triggering ext patches you need either a Multi timbral synth, like the Blofeld, Virus, Lead 2/3; or a hardware splitter to trigger multiple monotimbral synths each on a different MIDI channel.

DT default is MIDI channels 1-8 triggering DT samples.
You need to enable each MIDI track manually and select the channel (9-16).

The setup below is specific to the Virus C. To play live and loop MIDI from the Virus you have to select slot 14 (on midi ch 14) to play notes live and record and playback from the DT MIDI tracks. The DT automatically triggers patches over the correct channel as assigned to each track (9-16). So in this case DT will only trigger Virus slots 9-16 even though the Virus Multi mode has 16 slots.

It can be tricky, but this setup works. Once it’s working for you save the project as a template: Ext MIDI 8 Track. and Copy the pattern you get setup with the midi tracks to another project to save time enabling all the MIDI track channels each time. Unfortunately there is no method to export a working config to share at the moment. Looking forward to Overbidge for the DT…

;j

DigiTakt 8 track MIDI looper setup, great for Virus - specific config for Virus C/Indigo 2

Virus
Multi mode. Find a Sequencer patch - eg. M14 Sequence

• local keys = off
  • soft thru = off
  • global ch. = 16

DT
Sample tracks 1-8 use MIDI ch 1-8 to trigger remotely
Setup MIDI tracks 9-16 as MIDI ch 9-16
DT MIDI config
auto ch. 14
enable MIDI on each track under SRC but pressing Fn. + encoder A, change value for ch #
under system, MIDI
Sync menu

• List item

disable all, except CLOCK SENT OUT = ON
Port cfg menu

• Turbo = off
  • Out port Function = MIDI
  • Thru port function = MIDI
  • Input from - MIDI+USB
  • Output to MIDI+USB
  • Output ch - Auto Ch
  • Parameter output = CC
  • Encoder dest - INT
  • Trig Key dest = INT
  • MUTE dest = INT
  • Receive Notes = ON
  • Receive cc/nprn = ON
    Channels menu
  • Tracks 1-8 = ch 1-8
  • Auto = 14
  • Prog Change in channel = Auto
  • Prog Change out ch. = Auto

DT Audio routing
Patch Virus L+R out to DT L+R inputs
to change routing on DT
press Direct on DT

• use encoders to change values
  • (F) Threshold for auto sampling = 25
  • (G) SRC/Source = change to Ext. L+R
  • (H) Mon/Monitor = change to Yes.

This allows pads 1-8 to trigger samples, and 9-16 to trigger ext midi notes, plus record each track and loop.

After pressing Fn + Encoder A to enable MIDI on each track under SRC screen, dial in the MIDI ch 9-16, and then use Fn B and C to enable Program Change BANK and PATCH.
This saves the patches and recalls then when you press play, even if the Virus multi setup has different singles selected.

if a DT project gets corrupted and stop triggering multiple MIDI tracks then create a new project from INIT, under Manager Projects.

Virus CC map is here. These have to be assigned manually on the DT, but then you can set parameter locks for up to 8 CCs per track.

http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=25651

3 Likes